Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Building up a Supply

Default Building up a Supply

I'm a first time mom with a 5 week old at home. I want to build up a supply of stored milk for evenings out and for (eventually) my little one to spend a night at grandma's.

My son is feeding on demand so sometimes there are 3-4 hour breaks, other times he grazes every 30-60 minutes. Also, when I have pumped, he has surprised us with the capacity to take 8 oz by bottle and then wanting more (by breast because we've run out of stored!) half an hour later! Supply doesn't seem to be a problem --he's growing faster than average.

When should I pump relative to breastfeeding in order to stock up? I don't want to be empty when he wakes up hungry...

Default Re: Building up a Supply

Congratulations on your baby boy! When do you anticipate going out? How often to you expect to and when do you think he's going to spend the night at Grandma's?

I wouldn't worry too much about pumping if you just want to go out sometimes. You could pump once a week or something like that. Or, you could pump at the same time every day and start storing it. However, if you're not going to be bottle feeding often, you may end up with a huge stash that you don't use.

If you start pumping after the first feeding of the day you will start to build up a stash (slowly) and don't have to worry about him getting upset about the slow flow of milk. There is always milk.

Here is a link on how to bottle feed. I'm not trying to criticize you, but 8 ounces is way too much for a baby that age to be drinking. My 14 month old has never drank more than 3 ounces at once and I have heard that formula fed babies don't usually drink more than 6 ounces at a time when they are older. His stomach is about the size of his fist. It is likely that he wanted to suck and since he can't stop the milk coming out of the bottle he ended up drinking it all. And then since it came out so fast, he probably just wanted to suck some more later when he was nursing. Please don't take offense to what I am saying.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Babies usually need 1 to 1.5 ounces of milk for every hour away from mom.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

thanks! no offense taken. The pumping is for a weekly outing or for wine with dinner.

The thing is he is growing rapidly even without bottles, so I know he truly has a big appetite and is getting a lot by breast as well. He has only had a bottle twice. 8 oz does seem excessive but he is giving all the signs of hunger that he does on the breast too --rooting, smacking lips, etc. Since it is only occasionally that he will get a bottle I don't think I need to be too worried about him getting "too much" on an ongoing basis. I read the kellymom.com link so we'll try that to make sure we're not promoting over-feeding. Thank you for that.

The large feeds (by breast and by bottle) are quite far away from the preceding and subsequent feeds. Perhaps this justifies the volume somewhat? Particularly considering his age. My partner gets him to take breaks during the bottle which is good...Hmmm. Need to figure this out a bit more...

My daughter nursed for hours at a time at that age. I still don't think she was getting more than an ounce an hour.

I think that the issue with giving him 8 ounces at once is that it could stretch his stomach out and then he would always want 8 ounces at once which could lead you down the road of formula feeding or exclusive pumping because it will be difficult for you to keep up with that...

Perhaps you could try giving him 3 or 4 ounces and then offer a pacifier to suck on?

How long did he go before and after the 8 ounces? The average baby needs around 24 ounces of milk in a day - so that's a third of his calories for one day in one sitting. That is a lot.
    Tracie

Mommy to

thanks again for your comments.

I am not worried about him getting too much --just surprised! At this age I know that feeding on demand is the way to go and he is growing rapidly on breastfeeding alone, so his growth is not related to overfeeding by bottle. I am not sure about your comment about stomach stretching --An infant's stomach over-stretching is not possible (this only happens in geese and it's called fois gras ).

My biggest challenge is how to fit in pumping --I'll try your suggestion of pumping after the morning feed. If I pump a couple of ounces every morning I'll have a couple of bottles a week saved up. I hope this works --the issue is where to find time where i feel i have none! I assume that a routine gets easier. Any other hints on how to make this part of my day, and not interfere with on-demand feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*heather.boyd View Post
    t --An infant's stomach over-stretching is not possible (this only happens in geese and it's called fois gras ).
    I know that I read this somewhere. It does seem silly now that you mention it though. I'm not sure. Fois gras is actually the liver, I think. That certainly is an extreme situation of over-feeding.

I don't have much experience adding a pumping session every day while on-demand nursing at home. What I did do actually, so that I didn't worry that I was going to pump the milk that Lilah would want was to pump and nurse her at the same time. So I would hold her in the football hold and then pump the other side. I think it would work equally well to just pump at the same time every day about 45 minutes after she feeds in the morning.

Good luck and have a great time on your evenings out!
    Tracie

Mommy to