Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 weeks pregnant and overwhelmed

Default 15 weeks pregnant and overwhelmed

I am planning on breast feeding at first, but only have 20 days paid off of work. I plan on going back after the 20 days so I need a breast pump. I have looked at them and I am so confused. Can any bottle be attached to any pump? Is there a big difference in electric pumps? I just don't know what to do. Any advise would be great!

Default Re: 15 weeks pregnant and overwhelmed

Congratulations on your upcoming baby! I'm sorry you can only take a month off. That will be hard. Can you take any time unpaid?

Most pumps come with a kit that includes a bottle to pump into. If you're going to be pumping a lot, it's best to get a double electric pump of good quality. There are several out there. You can even rent a hospital grade pump - which might be best given that you will be going back to work so soon.

I have a Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I like it. I know a girl that has the Lansinoh pump and apparently it's the same as an Avent pump ? I think. Hopefully there will be some more folks responding soon.

There was a thread about this a while ago. I'll look for it and try to link you to it.

ETA: Here you go: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=78594
    Last edited by @llli*mommy2lilah; December 14th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thank you mommy2lilah. That helps some. I haven't read the link you attached yet. Yes, I could take unpaid leave, but I really can't afford it. My husband and I found out I was pregnant just 2 days after he got laid off.

I'm wondering if renting for a hospital would be a good idea. If it's expensive, I might as well buy one, right? No one in my family has ever breast fed and they all thing I'm kind of nuts. I'm nervous about it, but from what I've read I think it's the right thing for me to do. I am scared about pumping at work, but my boss has already told me that wont be a problem. Should I keep it in the fridge at work? Isn't that kind of gross?

Is what gross? Your milk or the fridge? Your milk is certainly not gross. The fridge...

The reason for renting a hospital grade one is that they work a lot better. But I've had really good luck with my pump. It was about $300. You can find them cheaper some places and in that long thread I linked you to there is a link to a place that you can get them for a lower price. You can also find them on craigslist.

The $300 or so is perfectly reasonable when you consider that it costs about $100 a month for formula - so you'll be saving money within the first four months just by pumping!

Has your husband found a new job. How stressful for you guys!

I was really nervous about pumping at work too and worried about the milk and all that. By the time I was actually at work and pumping it wasn't such a big deal to me anymore.

The pump itself won't go into the fridge, but you can either store your milk in the fridge at work or in a cooler pack. Most pumps will come with a cooler pack. You can wash the parts in between or keep them in a cooler.
    Tracie

Mommy to

If you want to breastfeed your baby, there are many resources out there that can help you with basic information and support. The most accessible are your local LLL meetings. There will be other moms who come to those meetings that will work and pump and I know they would be happy to share their tips and suggestions. You are doing the best thing you can for your baby by breastfeeding. Everything else will fall into place if you just take one day at a time.
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.

i'm new to pumping (and breastfeeding) but here's the advise i received or things I have found beneficial...
    -double pump is good for a few reasons including time efficiency and i am told it promotes let-down (milk will begin flowing sooner)
    -a pump with multiple settings will help prevent sore nipples when you are getting used to breastfeeding by letting you choose a very low setting
    -i have a battery operated one --it costs more but is convenient (no search for an outlet, which us convenient even at home, and the battery is rechargeable
    -most do come with cooler bags and a refreezable ice pack
    -i debated storing in bottles vs bags --if you are using the milk up as you pump it, you may be able to get away just using bottles. although bags are not reusable, they are cheaper. pump into the bottle then pour it into the bag for storing (for me this workd better than attaching the bag to the pump).

hope this helps.

mom of a 5 week old.
    -get a pump with

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    The $300 or so is perfectly reasonable when you consider that it costs about $100 a month for formula - so you'll be saving money within the first four months just by pumping!
    The cost of a year's supply of formula is typically estimated at $1500-$2000, so breastfeeding is really the cheap option!

A hospital pump is probably going to be $3-$4 per day, which is still competitive with formula, and less than what a lot of people spend at Starbucks on a given day!

It's great that your boss sounds supportive of you pumping at work. You might want to ask him/her a few more questions, like:
    - Where will I be able to pump? Will there be a clean, private space for me to pump in?
    - I will need to pump several times during the workday. Will we be able to arrange my schedule to compensate for those pumping periods?

Regarding the fridge- well, as mommy2lilah said, your milk isn't gross, but the fridge at work... Some moms do have problems with co-workers who feel uncomfortable seeing human milk stored next to their sandwiches. Storing your milk in an opaque container (like a mini cooler or even just a brown paper bag with your name on it) generally takes care of the problem, since for most people out of sight = out of mind.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    (like a mini cooler or even just a brown paper bag with your name on it) generally takes care of the problem, since for most people out of sight = out of mind.
    This is what I do. My pump came with a little cooler bag. I just put the bottle into the bag and the bag in the fridge. It has an icepack in it too, so it will stay cold on the way home.

Someone else mentioned bottles or bags. I have found that bottles are a lot more convenient for pumping at work. You don't really want to be pouring milk from bottle to a bag in your office. The less transferring you do, the better.

I pump into the bottles that Lilah drinks from and then on the last day of the week, I would pour those bottles into the freezer bags at home and freeze them. Then I would give her the oldest frozen milk on Monday so that the freezer stock rotated.

If you are just pumping at home for occasional use, I can see that the bags would be more convenient for storage.
    Tracie

Mommy to

With you being the only one working, would you qualify for WIC? I have heard that in some cases, they will cover the cost of the pump instead of giving you formula once the baby comes. You might want to look into that. Also, getting on WIC now could help with the bills. Look into what other sort of aid you can qualify for until your hubby gets another job.

WIC will help a lot. They let me have a breast pump for two months to help feed my baby girl.