Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need Help!!

Unhappy I need Help!!

My son is now 3 months old....He was an excellent nurser...perfect actually..I had no troubles. I introduced the bottle at about 4 weeks and he went back and forth fine. About a month ago I had about 2 weeks where I was just so busy, so I had pumped most of his bottles instead of putting him to my breast..After that period his latch became weak..and eventually he wasnt latching on..so I was upset but I just figured I will just pump at least he is getting the breast milk and I took fenugreek to help with the supply....well now it is about a month later and pumping hasnt been going well and I became immune to fenugreek...its just isnt helping anymore...I have almost no milk left..Im lucky if I get 4 ounces in a whole day...I've tried putting him back to the breast but he wants nothing to do with the breast at all...(Its been about 3 weeks, since he has actually nursed). Well now I want to just rewind and start fresh I just want him to nurse but Im afraid its too late...Has anyone gone through this what should I do.

Default Re: I need Help!!

I'm only here real quick but what brand of fenugreek are you using? Are you using the GNC brand?

And what kind of pump are you using and how often are you pumping?

hey there just a quick note that you are not alone. i am going through this right now. have you thought anout using a nipple shield? this way he will get the feeling like he has a bottle? i am going to start this and i will let you know if that works or not. hth sorry i cant be of more help just yet... but maybe in a few days or so i will be more. huggs just know you are not alone in this one.

Hi Timothysmom,

(((HUGS))) to you. The best suggestion I can offer is to cut back on everything but absolute essentials and spend as much time with your baby as possible. Get help with the housework/other children, settle into bed or another comfy spot, and hold your baby skin to skin. Do as much holding, cuddling, and snuggling with your baby as you can. Many moms find carrying baby in a sling with an open shirt helps a reluctant baby to nurse. Bringing baby into a warm bathtub with you can also help. Another strategy that has worked for many moms is to offer the breast when baby is very sleepy.
    If baby is willing, it is a good idea to give him your ebm in something other than a bottle...a medicine dropper, cup, spoon, finger feeder, or sns. Try offering the breast first, before baby is ravinously hungry. Even if he only latches on momentarily, or even just licks the breast, that little bit of nipple stimulation will stimulate milk production. If he starts to get frustrated, then offer the ebm.
    One note of encouragement to you is that babies are much better at removing milk from the breast than pumps are. Even if you aren't getting much with the pump, there is a good chance that your supply will recover once you get baby back to the breast.

Let me know how it goes!

Hang in there,

Tiana

I am using Fenugreek from vitamin world...but I have also used the GNC brand also...I Had great results with it at first...but like I said it isnt doing much anymore.