Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping if going out

Default pumping if going out

How do you handle pumping if going out for a while? I presume you want to breastfeed the baby before you go out. but let's say the baby was fed a bottle sometime before you return. do you pump at all to make up for the missed nursing, if it's past the time when you've`already established your milk supply? if so, when do you do that pumping if baby feeds on demand and you're not sure when they'll feed again? or ok to just let it slide?

Default Re: pumping if going out

I think that if you are comfortable with your milk supply, aren't going out for that long, and aren't doing it all of the time, you should be okay. I never pumped while out for movie and dinner, things like that. If I was going to be out for a LONG time, maybe I'd pump, but I didn't usually go out for more than a few hours. Now, if I went out and came home to a sleeping baby, I'd probably pump. See how you feel - if you're uncomfortable you might want to pump
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I still pump when I go out once a week without dd and she's 15 months old. I get too full otherwise.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Unless your baby is a year old, I would pump every time there is a missed feeding. You'll likely be engorged anyway.

If you miss feedings and don't pump it can negatively impact your supply. It's one of the ways people think their LOs self wean early.
    You'll probably feel the need to pump anyway mama.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together