Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamin D and Iron Supp

Default Vitamin D and Iron Supp

Hi,
    I've read a lot of contradictory information about vitamin D. Everyone agrees that it is not in the breast milk and that it is really important. There seems to be disagreement, however, in how much sun exposure is necessary for adequate natural vitamin D intake. Some say as little as 20 minutes a day, 4-5 times a week, 4-5 months a year. Others say that research indicates vitamin D supplementation has been associated with really great later in life health. I didn't worry about it during the summer and fall (my LO was born in May), but now it has been cold, wet, and gloomy outside for weeks. He is 7 months old, and we gave him his first bit of solids this evening (peas). I bought the Vitamin D supplement at the store (Tri-Vi-Sol), and I gave him a little. But now I'm second-guessing myself.

I'm also wondering about iron. I delayed solids until month 7, because I know that babies exclusively breast fed that long do not appear to develop anemia. Now that he has had maybe a quarter teaspoon of peas this evening, I am for the first time worrying (probably irrationally) about whether or not he will get enough iron. I think I might just emotionally be dealing with this new situation of no longer EBF. For 7 months I have delighted in imagining a pristine bacterial balance in his gut, but that is not exactly the same anymore and I don't know exactly how. Be that as it may, he hated the peas. I'm worried he won't get enough nutrients now since he, unlike my first child who gobbled down the iron-fortified rice cereal on the first try, appears to be more reluctant with the food. So I'm wondering if I should I supplement? I can't find any research regarding the effects of iron supplementation after 7 months.

Default Re: Vitamin D and Iron Supp

That's really a personal decision. Breast milk DOES have vit D and actually is one of the only foods with vit D in it naturally. Other foods with vit D are fortified. But we aren't made to get vitamin D from food. As I know you are already aware that we get it from sun exposure. The problem is that we don't go out in the sun without sunscreen very often. So it's really up to you if you want to supplement. You can get a vitamin that's just vitamin d without all that other stuff but you have to order it online. I personally am not concerned about vitamin d as I do not put sunscreen on dd unless we are out for an extended period of time and we try to go out as often as possible. I also take prenatal vitamins.

As far as iron goes, my dd has never had an iron supplement and is 15 months old. She nurses a lot and did not eat solids until around a year old (maybe 10 or 11 months). We haven't had her tested for anemia but I don't see any reason to be concerned.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

This info comes from what I think is a really excellent book on the topic, Child of Mine by Ellyn Satter. She says that "if your baby is at all exposed to sunshine, unless he is well slathered with sunscreen, his skin will make enough vitamin D. My recommendation if in doubt, give your baby a supplement, but give no more than 200 IU of vitamin D per day.

I had been worried about the D and Iron myself because of the colder weather, and it has been too windy to get any reasonable sun exposure - so I am feeding her iron and D rich foods. She doesn't care for the avocado by itself, but I've been finding if I slather it on a small piece of bread or egg or anything for that matter that a large amount of it gets ingested. I am going to start baking and using unsulfured molasses in things as well, also high in iron content. I know they eat so little at that age, but they don't need a lot to make a difference - at least, that is how I'm approaching it.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*will.smom View Post
    This info comes from what I think is a really excellent book on the topic, Child of Mine by Ellyn Satter. She says that "if your baby is at all exposed to sunshine, unless he is well slathered with sunscreen, his skin will make enough vitamin D. My recommendation if in doubt, give your baby a supplement, but give no more than 200 IU of vitamin D per day.
    This is now outdated. As of last year, the findings were that we need about 10x what the RDA was. An easy way to calculate is roughly 35 IU per lb of body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eris View Post
    I had been worried about the D and Iron myself because of the colder weather, and it has been too windy to get any reasonable sun exposure - so I am feeding her iron and D rich foods. She doesn't care for the avocado by itself, but I've been finding if I slather it on a small piece of bread or egg or anything for that matter that a large amount of it gets ingested. I am going to start baking and using unsulfured molasses in things as well, also high in iron content. I know they eat so little at that age, but they don't need a lot to make a difference - at least, that is how I'm approaching it.
    The only problem with D is that it is not naturally occuring in that many foods, and the foods that it is fortified with, you are getting vitamin D2 which is synthesized, and is 500x harder to absorb than D3.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks everyone! This is very useful information. Especially those tip about how vitamin D is in breast milk and the difference between D2 vs D3! And it is just so good to hear how other concerned moms are dealing with this. I really appreciate it.

There is a Vitamin D supplement that is only Vitamin D, you can google it. It is called Just D. That other stuff is made by Enfamil and tastes horrible. My ped wants me to put my littlest one on Vit D supplements but so far I've held off. I plan to order Vitamin D if the ped mentions it again at my visit. My husband did a rotation in peds during his first year of residency and that is what he prescribed/recommended since the other stuff tastes so nasty.