Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping and storing while out of the house

Default pumping and storing while out of the house

Tomorrow I am going out with my dad from 2-9. We're doing lunch and the ballet. I have enough milk for dd to stay with the sitter so if I must pump and dump I can. But I hate to waste milk (I'm donating excess and would like to keep what I pump to freeze).

What is the best way to pump and keep the milk good during this time period? Should I bring one of those lunch carriers and stock it with ice packs? How will it last up to the 7 hours? Can I just keep changing the ice (ballet and restaurant should have ice I can use).

On a side note, do you think the ballet will let me bring the pack in the theater. Clearly I'm not bringing food and drinks in for me and I won't pump during the performance (I'll go to the restroom).

Default Re: pumping and storing while out of the house

I bought a cooler made by playtex that just large enough for 2 8oz bottles or cups; you put the whole thing in the freezer overnight, and it keeps milk cool for up to 24hrs (though I've never let it go that long). It fits in my pump bag.

I don't know what pump/pump bag you have, but this is what I would do were I in your shoes: save the milk ( the thought of throwing it away makes me want to cry); you can keep freshly pumped milk at room temp (66-74) for up to 4hrs (assuming your baby is full term and healthy), so you have some wiggle room if you need it. Carry your milk in the pump bag or get a large purse for your pump/parts/milk. If it's as cold where you are as where I am, you could run the milk outside and leave it in the trunk - colder than a fridge sometimes

Thanks for the idea of leaving it out in the trunk. It is cold here. I think I'll do that for the first pump after we eat and if I pump while in the theatre, I'll just have to ask for some ice and wait til I get home.

My IBCLC's even say 6 hrs at room temp so please please do not throw out your precious milk!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.