Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk now mixing?

Default Milk now mixing?

Hi, I'm new and have a few questions =) I'm a stay at home mom, so I don't have to store often, but I've started so we could practice taking a bottle and to store it so that I can go to a football game at the end of the month. I had some milk in the fridge. It was pumped 3 days ago. When my milk sits in the fridge, it of course get the fat at the top, and it really sticks to the sides. I tried shaking the bottle to mix it up, but after shaking and shaking it, and finally getting it off the sides, the milk looked like the part that was stuck to the side didn't mix totally back together. You can see it at the top in tiny pieces. It had no smell to it though. Is this milk good or bad? Is this normal? Also how long can the milk stay in the fridge, if I don't put it in the freezer right away.

Also I read as much as I had time about the Lipase issue. I had never heard of it before. I think I remember having the issue of the milk smelling when taken out of the freezer with my last and that's why I never bothered to store it. In general if you have this problem with one kid will it continue with another, and if yes, will this happen quickly or is it with milk stored for a longer time. I just don't want to get a call from my mother-in-law that all the milk I left for her, he won't take.
    Thank you much in advance. This is my 3rd and you would think I would have it figured out by now.

Default Re: Milk now mixing?

You shouldn't shake your milk. It breaks down the protein strands, I believe. I know it breaks down something important. You can swirl it and it's ok if some doesn't mix back in. Can't help you on the lipase.

Default Re: Milk now mixing?

If you warm the milk container up in your hands a bit and swirl it gently, you should be able to get the fat off the sides (don't shake it vigorously). It will mix back together when it's warmer, but it's not a big deal if it doesn't.