Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about starting cereal....

Default Thinking about starting cereal....

My DR told me that my LO needs some more calories and to give her a bottle after nursing (amd i spoke with my LC and she agreed). I have been doing that and i was thinking about starting some rice cereal with BM.

How would i introduce it...how much cereal to how much BM?

Hanna is just about 4.5 months old
    Kelly
    Mommy to Nate (2-27-06) and
    Johanna (Hanna) (8-3-09)
    Successfully since 8-3-09 AND LOVING IT!!!

Default Re: Thinking about starting cereal....

Cereal has less calories than your milk. I think you are better off trying to get more milk into her than adding solids at this point.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

can you tell a little more about what lead to this suggestion by doc?

At her 4 month check-up she had dropped from the 25th percentile to the
    10th percentile. And acts fussy at the breast like she is not satsified. so he told me to offer a 2oz bottle after she nurses for more calories. I called the LC and she looked at her weights and so forth and decided that she needed more calories also. They said i could use formula if needed and my LC said to pump after every or everyother feeding and come see her on wednesday and bring my pump so she could check it. I have been using my freezer stash and pumping and getting very little but still pumping. I was wanting to maybe everyother feeding adding some cereal to the extra milk i give her after she nurses (from a spoon not a bottle) Like mix the cereal and whatever is left give to her in a bottle first and then feed the cereal.

She also has her 2 bottom teeth and has become a biter and nursing has become a little painful again.....i am almost to the point of pumping and bottle feeding her LOL
    Kelly
    Johanna (Hanna) (8-3-09)

Have you thought about giving her sweet potato or avocado for nutritious solids? (pureed and watered down?)
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

w/pp
    Cereal has less calories, no "nutritional" value, and is hard on LO's tummy which can cause constipation and/or digestive problems in the future. There's more information on kellymom.com (under "Why delay solids?") and on askdrsears.com. I believe some mamas on this forum have said that it can also pose a choking hazard

We skipped cereal and went straight to fruits and veggies..
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    w/pp
    Cereal has less calories, no "nutritional" value, and is hard on LO's tummy which can cause constipation and/or digestive problems in the future. There's more information on kellymom.com (under "Why delay solids?") and on askdrsears.com. I believe some mamas on this forum have said that it can also pose a choking hazard

We skipped cereal and went straight to fruits and veggies..
    Could you nurse more frequently?

Was baby weighed on the same scale, naked? That can make a big difference.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Cereal has less calories than your milk.
    Calories-wise, cereal isn't a good option when growth is the concern. It's really just pure starch, without any of the healthy fat or protein your baby needs. If you decide to go with the option to start solids, try avocado. It's a lot fattier than cereal, and can be mixed with breastmilk.

Since you're going to start pumping, you might want to try making bottles of "double-cream" milk for your baby. Basically, you pump out a bottle, and allow the milk to stand in the fridge until the cream rises to the top. Then you skim off the cream and add it to a second bottle, so that the second bottle ends up with 2 portions of cream in it. The "skim" milk you left behind in the first bottle can still be used- you can mix it with solids or save it for an emergency.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Calories-wise, cereal isn't a good option when growth is the concern. It's really just pure starch, without any of the healthy fat or protein your baby needs. If you decide to go with the option to start solids, try avocado. It's a lot fattier than cereal, and can be mixed with breastmilk.

Since you're going to start pumping, you might want to try making bottles of "double-cream" milk for your baby. Basically, you pump out a bottle, and allow the milk to stand in the fridge until the cream rises to the top. Then you skim off the cream and add it to a second bottle, so that the second bottle ends up with 2 portions of cream in it. The "skim" milk you left behind in the first bottle can still be used- you can mix it with solids or save it for an emergency.

I like the double cream idea LOL giving her more of the hindmilk? a little extra calories? I will probably try pumping and feeding her for a while...i will see what my pump is like when she checks it out on wednesday (i bought it from a friend of a friend)
    Kelly
    Johanna (Hanna) (8-3-09)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zoiysiabean View Post
    I like the double cream idea LOL giving her more of the hindmilk? a little extra calories?
    Exactly!

I will probably try pumping and feeding her for a while...
    Does that mean you're planning to exclusively pump for a while? Since your LO is already a kind of fussy nurser- right?- I would make sure to keep her on the breast for at least some of her feedings. That will help her retain her latching and nursing skills. Sometimes a few days of only bottles is all it takes for the baby to decide that she'd rather have a bottle than the breast, thank you very much!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"