Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have to start pumping...

Default Have to start pumping...

I have a 4 week old, and I have to start pumping so that my husband or mother can occasionally give my son a bottle. When is the best time to pump in order to provide one bottle a day, to start? How do you schedule pumping/feeding sessions? Is it ok if I pump only a few days a week? Do you just pump right into the bottles and then dole out the ounces as needed?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Have to start pumping...

My pumping kit has "bottles" attached at the end of each flange to catch the milk and then I put it into a storage container for the next day as I pump at work and then send what I have pumped for him to the sitter. I found that when I was with him and needed to pump, it was best to do it in the morning about 45 minutes after a nursing session and sometimes I could catch an extra one at night if he ever slept through one of our regular times. And yes, I believe that if you are at home with your child it's okay to pump every other day or even every few days. As long as you are still nursing regularly, your supply will not dwindle.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

Hi-just curious why do you "have to" let mom or DH feed the baby? Are you thinking bonding or so you can leave baby for a longer stretch? I'm asking because especially at this age your supply is not totally stable yet and even if DH or mom feeds baby you NEED to pump if you miss a feeding. You need to cue your body that it still should produce milk.

If you are pumping to build a stash for returning to work etc, is there a predictable time where baby sleeps for 3-4 hours? If so a good time is about 2 hours into the sleep stretch.

What pump do you have/thinking about getting?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Hi-just curious why do you "have to" let mom or DH feed the baby? Are you thinking bonding or so you can leave baby for a longer stretch? I'm asking because especially at this age your supply is not totally stable yet and even if DH or mom feeds baby you NEED to pump if you miss a feeding. You need to cue your body that it still should produce milk.

If you are pumping to build a stash for returning to work etc, is there a predictable time where baby sleeps for 3-4 hours? If so a good time is about 2 hours into the sleep stretch.

What pump do you have/thinking about getting?

Thanks for your reply.
    I would like to start pumping for a few reasons:
    -so that DS will be willing to take a bottle - I've read that it is good to start around 4-6 weeks
    -so that I can go anywhere without him -right now I am too concerned that he is going to wake up hungry and then my husband or mom will be out of luck, so I don't want to leave him for more than an hour or so
    -and yes, bonding is part of it too. My husband would definitely like to start feeding him too

Right now, I am feeding from one side per feeding. So do I pump the other side? Or do I wait an hour or so and then pump from the same side that I just fed from?

hmm I have always heard that no bottles prior to at least 5 weeks to avoid nipple confusion, your baby is still sooo young that he/she (sorry I didnt catch it) may decide that bottles are so much easier that they dont want to nurse anymore.

If you are going to be away from baby (usually eating every 2 hours or so at this age) please remember that you must still pump while out if you miss a feeding. Sometimes it's a toss up as to how freeing it is to miss the feeding.

yes you can pump on one side and nurse on the other but I suspect that baby may be willing/able to nurse both sides soon. In that case you can also pump for a few minutes after nursing to build supply little by little.

I'm going to say one other thing, you can take it or leave it IMHO, if you are at home you should be feeding baby from the breast 100% of the time at this age. BF is sooo critical at this stage that a few months of EBF can set the tone for a much easier nursing relationship moving forward but anything (like early bottle introduction) little can cause a lot of hardship in the way baby eats. There are so many other ways for grandma and dad to bond with baby and on that note so much time for you to be away from your baby in the future.

Good Luch with whatever you choose!