Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Enough milk?

Default Enough milk?

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place. My question is somewhat related to the "norm" of breastfeeding a toddler but also to weaning. My DD is 19 months old, and I have no intention of weaning her before she's ready. That being said, she used to nurse every 2 hours but has gone closer to 4 hours during the day in the past few months. She continues to nurse at night every 2-4 hours (longer in between feedings as the night goes on and she sleeps deeper). I am home with her four days a week and work three days a week. On work days, I send EBM with her to daycare. I usually send 8 ounces, which she gobbles up. They have extra in the freezer, and she sometimes consumes an extra 4 ounces, though this isn't an everyday thing. At any rate, I am still pumping 3 times a day at work, and I have noticed that my output is much less than it used to be. At this point, I'm bringing home 8 ounces at the beginning of my three-day work week and this progressively declines to 4 ounces by Day 3. So, on average, I bring home 18 ounces in a week, and I send 24 ounces in a week. I would like drop one pumping session, and in trying this, I have found that my output is even less (big surprise, right?). I've done the math, and with what I bring home weekly plus my freezer stash, I would run out in about 5 more months. But, what do I do then if she is still nursing and taking milk at daycare? How is this "supposed" to work? What's the norm? Do I start sending other liquids? Do I start sending just what I pump and give her water for the rest of the day? Do I add back in that pumping session I had dropped? Or should I even drop it??? Technically, dropping that third pump would be closer to her daytime nursing schedule - it just doesn't produce as much as I think she'd like to drink. Ugh! I think I make myself crazy with this stuff. Any help would be appreciated!!
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: Enough milk?

First off, WOW! You pumped for 19 mo. That's much longer than most moms pumped. I pumped for 6 mo. for my first and 8 for my second before my pumping supply ran out. I am still able to nurse my 17 mo. old whenever she wants, even after I stopped pumping.

Second, you can definitely just send whatever you pump plus water. In fact, as long as your lo is nursing 3-4 times a day she is getting the calcium she needs and can just drink water out of a sippy at other times. You can also give her lots of yogurt and cheese for her calcium (and a calcium supplement if you think it's necessary) and she doesn't need to drink any other milk.

Good job, momma! I'm sure that your lo is a very happy and healthy baby!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement. First of all, I didn't realize that pumping this long wasn't the norm. I guess I just assumed that I should continue to pump if DD is continuing to nurse. I'm glad to know that I can worry less about how much EBM I'm pumping/saving/sending and just start sending water as her liquid on daycare days. That makes my life soooo much easier! I will probably continue to pump twice a day until she's two (I enjoy the break at work), but at least I don't have to worry so much about output and my DD's nutrition. You were very helpful. Thank you again!
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

You are welcome! If you can pump until she's two and you don't mind - that's great! And you should continue. I wish I could have pumped longer but it got to the point where I was only pumping about 1 oz. per session - not worth it! Fortunately, like you, I had a good freezer stash, so no formula or cow's milk for us. I definitely felt worried that my supply would diminish after I stopped pumping - but we've been nursing without pumping for 6-8 mo. now (I loose track of the exact time frame). Hope things continue to go well for you! Glad that I could help...

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!