Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump recommendation?

Default Pump recommendation?

For "light" pumping really. I don't work but I'd like to build a small stash for DH and my mom/gma to do some feedings and possibly to help my best friend out after her LO is born. Really can't afford a super spendy pump either but I have NO CLUE what is good on the lower price range and what isn't. I have one from the milk bank last time around but I think it's dying.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: Pump recommendation?

I used a Medela PIS and loved it. But it was pricey...sometimes Target has them discounted.

For light pumping, maybe a handpump? The one I got at the hospital worked nicely.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

go with the medela hand pump i mine! it works great and only about $30
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

I my Medela handpump. I think it's called "harmony".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I would check with your insurance...my insurance reimbursed $50 when I purchased a breastpump. I used Medela swing...local hospitals also rent.
    Mommy to Jackson Cale
    May 30, 2009

Proudly my little love.

I can't use a hand pump I had an avent one and I do have a medela one as well for emergency pumping, but I have tendinitis and degenerative joint disease in both my hands. Gotta love genetics

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

How about an Ameda pump? I've heard that they're great and much less spendy than the Medelas.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

have you checked to see how much it would cost to rent one? it is my understanding that they aren't much and they are hospital grade pumps. i used one while i was pumping for dd while she was in the nicu and it was pretty awesome.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Lansinoh. Mine was $150. Double electric. For the price and since you won't be toting it an d pumped milk around, who cares if it doesn't come with a totebag. I like mine very much.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have used both the medela pump in style and the ameda purely yours breast pumps. Like both, the ameda runs about $199( a lot less than the medela) and to me has a more gentle but equally effective suction on the breast. I also like that the unit on the ameda comes out of the bag and is very small if you want to set up a "station" like i have. I get equal amounts out of both pumps. I like that the tubing for the ameda is located on top instead the back of the unit...my medela seams to get moisture inside the tubing sometimes and i dont have that problem with the ameda. The ameda also seams to have less parts to wash and comes with a cooler bag that is seperate from the pump that holds 6-4oz bottles that fit a standard nipple, and has three hardsided freezer cooling elements. Hope this is helpful..also I've tried a manuel..not nearly as effective!
    Last edited by @llli*okiemom; December 8th, 2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling