Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Google fail: dark ring of skin around edge of shield

Default Google fail: dark ring of skin around edge of shield

Hi Folks. Wife and I are splitting up the research on this, google wasn't terribly helpful...

We are parents to a lovely 6-months-old girl, breastfed since birth. My wife returned to work a few months ago and has been pumping regularly (we bought a Medela pump-in-style advanced).

The other day my wife remarked on a 1-cm-wide ring of darker skin on her breasts, roughly corresponding to the diameter of the breast shields (at least that's what Medela calls them -- I'm referring to the part of the pump that physically attaches to the nipple). The skin there is very different than the rest of her skin; it looks "thinner" and wrinkly, kind of like it was stretched too tight over something and then released.

Has anybody experienced this or something similar? Googling "breast pumping dark ring skin" has yielded many descriptions of Areolae (which this isn't).

Thanks!

Default Re: Google fail: dark ring of skin around edge of shield

Does it hurt when she pumps? How is pumping going for her?

It is possible that she has the wrong size shields, and/or that the suction is turned on too high.

ETA: try searching for breastshield fit or something like that. I think Ameda has a page showing correct breastshield fit, but I'm not sure.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I haven't experienced that myself, but it sort of sounds liek she may be getting calloused around the edge of the breast shields (aka horns, aka flanges). Is it uncomfortable for her? She may want to lubricate her skin with some lanolin or olive oil (both are safe). It's possible the shields are too small, though if she isn't in pain or discomfort when she pumps that may not be the case. Also possible she is pressing them too tightly to her breast when she pumps?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Here's the Ameda page on fit but it has more to do with the nipple rather than the breast. http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx

I'd probably see if you can find an IBCLC (Lactation Consultant) who also sells breast pumps. They are usually very knowledgeable about that stuff!