Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: using breastmilk for cereal

Default using breastmilk for cereal

I just wondered how many of you used breastmilk to mix up infant cereal when starting solids? Or did you use water or something else?

Default Re: using breastmilk for cereal

I definitely used BM to mix with cereals. I have heard that you can also do juice. After a while (I think she was 7.5 mos) I mixed the BM w/ water and then mixed it in the cereal. I guess it was probably 1 ounce milk 1 ounce water.
    I still use BM with some foods, especially if it is a new food for her.
    with my Best Friend
    Proud Mommy to my 3 girls
    "Munchkin" 9/20/01
    "Sunshine" 12/01/06
    "Peanut" 02/26/09 birth weight 5lbs 2 oz
    2 mos 10lbs 4 oz
    4 mos 13lbs 8 oz
    5 mos 14lbs 12 oz
    6 mos 15lbs 3 oz
    9 mos 17lbs 10 oz
    1 year 19lbs 3 oz

Firm believer in the glory of "MIRACLE GROW"

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beccib72 View Post
    I definitely used BM to mix with cereals. I have heard that you can also do juice. After a while (I think she was 7.5 mos) I mixed the BM w/ water and then mixed it in the cereal. I guess it was probably 1 ounce milk 1 ounce water.
    I still use BM with some foods, especially if it is a new food for her.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

My ped told me to mix cereal with 1 oz juice and 1 oz breast milk. DD hated being spoon fed so she never ate it. But it did make a good consistency.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

I use water because when I mix breastmilk with cereal it gets thinner and thinner as I feed it. This has happened with both my kids. And they don't like liquid on spoons. Maybe it's just my milk.

I don't do juice because I don't want to add the sugar. I didn't give my DD juice until she was like 2yrs old and she only gets a really small amount of fruit & veggie juice each day.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    I use water because when I mix breastmilk with cereal it gets thinner and thinner as I feed it. This has happened with both my kids. And they don't like liquid on spoons. Maybe it's just my milk.

I don't do juice because I don't want to add the sugar. I didn't give my DD juice until she was like 2yrs old and she only gets a really small amount of fruit & veggie juice each day.
    Someone told me to mix juice in too. I thought that was a very odd suggestion - they thought it would get Lilah to eat it because it was sweet.

Truthfully I don't care if she eats the cereal, I don't want her drinking juice, so I'm not going to add it to cereal.

Funny about the cereal getting thinner with breastmilk. Mine was the same way. I used water sometimes too, but didn't really try that hard with cereal.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post

Breast milk contains enzymes, which helps in digestion (and would break down the cereal) http://breastfeeding.about.com/od/fa...zymedetail.htm

For Kate, I did either breast milk or diluted juice. Ben really didn't get cereal.
    Last edited by @llli*shannon75; December 8th, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

DS is only 2 months so I have a while before its a concern but I was just curious. That's good information about the enzymes thinning the cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    Breast milk contains enzymes, which helps in digestion (and would break down the cereal) http://breastfeeding.about.com/od/fa...zymedetail.htm

For Kate, I did either breast milk or diluted juice. Ben really didn't get cereal.
    I just didn't think the breastmilk would break down the cereal as fast as it does. Like before I can even put it to the baby's mouth for the first bite it's completely liquid, even if it was fairly clumpy when I first mixed it.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

For the brief time that Ben did have cereal, I had to put digestive enzymes in it and it would do the same thing in a matter of a minute. He was on enzymes for quite some time whenever he ate solids, but I wound up just putting them in a spoonful of applesauce before he ate his finger foods.

The cereal is broken down quite a bit more than 'whole foods', so it doesn't take much