Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New and need help

Question New and need help

My son was born on 11/07/05 and he weighed 6lbs 3oz at birth I BF within the first hour and every two hours after that and I thought everything was fine but when we went to have his weight checked at one week he had not started regaining he was down to 5lbs 10oz so the doc said to suppliment so I got a pump and started pumping inbetween feedings and he finally started gaining so I slowly went back to EBF well his weight went down again so I was told again to suppliment now at this point he had a few signs of not getting enough so I started pumping and giving him what I pumped with an SNS and he started gaining and pooping better and staying awake more and playing. I have since started pumping and putting it into a bottle and letting Ryan comfort nurse when he wants but for the most part he is getting bottles and I would like to go back to nursing exclusivly but I am afraid that he will not be getting enough so I haven't done that. You should also know that when I first started pumping I was only getting about half an ounce every two hours and now I get about two and a half to three ounces every 2 hours. I also have been taking him and weighing him before and after a feeding and the most he has gotten according to the scale is 2oz so I am very worried that if I go back to EBF he will not get what he needs.

Since I have been giving him the MM in the SNS or a bottle he has gained up to 8lbs 10oz and I would like to keep him gaining.

I have seen a LC and she was all for giving him a bottle and formula when the problems started so I haven't been back I have been working with a LPC (lactation peer counselor) and she has been great. I have also been taking fenugreek and blessed thistle 4 of each 3 times a day since the problems started. Any advice or help is very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: New and need help

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

These are additional important signs that indicate your baby is receiving enough milk:

The baby nurses frequently averaging at least 8-12 feedings per 24-hour period.
    The baby is allowed to determine the length of the feeding, which may be 10 to 20 minutes per breast or longer.
    Baby’s swallowing sounds are audible as he is breastfeeding.
    The baby should gain at least 4-7 ounces per week after the fourth day of life.
    The baby will be alert and active, appear healthy, have good color, firm skin, and will be growing in length and head circumference.

it sounds like you know what your are doing great and the baby is growing.
    I would just count diapars and cut out the pumping and bottles one feed a day untill you are back to just nursing
    take the baby to bed and nurse as much as he is willing to do.

heres some tips here
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug01p136.html
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; February 13th, 2006 at 09:58 AM.

Default Re: New and need help

Maybe put him back to the breast, but feed more frequently.

You say he is gaining well and eating plenty now, and you're worried when you put him back on the breast, he won't eat enough?