Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BFing and TTC (no period in sight)

Red face BFing and TTC (no period in sight)

Similarly to the other post, I am still nursing my toddler (21 months old) and would like to be able to TTC but have still not had a period.

It's not possible to conceive before a period shows up, I am assuming! (right?) But I've been using birth control to be safe because I am waiting for something work-related to flesh out before I actively TTC.

But I'd like to be ready to TTC very soon!

When my little goober was 17 months old I night weaned.

At 19 months I day weaned (dropped the 1 pump I was doing at work).

We now only nursing morning and night- 6am, a small nurse at 8am, then 7pm and a small nurse at 9pm. Technically 4 nursings but in my mind it's closer to just 2 real nursings.

So... so I have to cut back even more? I love nursing and how happy it makes my son so I would strongly rather not have to cut back even more than I already have (due to work). But on the other hand I am late 30's and also have blood clot issues so I cannot just wait around in case I am the sort of woman who remains infertile until complete weaning.

I was wondering if something silly like... a week or two of minimal nursing ... could bring the ovulation back, and then I could return to letting him nurse whenever I am around?

Just looking for ideas!

thanks!!

Default Re: BFing and TTC (no period in sight)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sleckey View Post
    I was wondering if something silly like... a week or two of minimal nursing ... could bring the ovulation back, and then I could return to letting him nurse whenever I am around?

Just looking for ideas!

thanks!!
    I don't have any answers, but this may work. Or could you bear to go away fro a night or two so that you were completely not nursing for that long? That might trigger your body into ovulation.

You can ovulate before you get your period. I was reading yesterday that when you get your period back early on (like before 6 months) that you are probably not ovulating for the first two or three cycles. But the longer it takes for your cycle to come back, the more likely it is that you will ovulate before that first cycle.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

double post
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes you can get pregnant if you catch your first ovulation. If you can, pick up a copy of 'Taking Charge of your Fertility'. It will explain what your fertile signs are so you know what to look for.

I was in the same position with no period and wanted to get pregnant for #2. I used Vitex and it took me 7 months on the herb to ovulate and get pregnant. I never actually saw my period though, however I was charting my fertile signs and I was pretty sure when I ovulated. Vitex is safe for breastfeeding, you can read about it on Kellymom. I bought mine at GNC and took 2 caps each morning.

HTH and good luck. We also DTD every other day as much as possible when we were TTC.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I read somewhere that not nursing for 24 hours can kick your cycle back into gear. I don't know how difficult that would be on your baby though. It's a hard choice.