Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing and Pumping at same time?

Default Nursing and Pumping at same time?

I'm sure this has probably been addressed somewhere before but it's a long search. Anyway, I've heard suggestions to pump and nurse at the same time since the other breast will let down easy because of nursing on the other side. I need to increase my milk supply and build up more of a freezer stash so was going to try this. Any tips? I use a boppy while nursing but since DS lies completely horizontal I'm not sure I could fit the pump there. Also, my DS only eats for about ten minutes from one side at each feeding but I definitely don't get one whole feedings worth from one side in ten minutes with the pump. He's started eating 4 ounces of expressed milk and I only average about 3 ounces each pumping session pumping for about 20 minutes using both sides. I'm really afraid my supply will run out and I'll have to start giving him formula. He's 3.5 months old. I know that's a lot of issues in one post, but thanks in advance!

Default Re: Nursing and Pumping at same time?

Have you tried the football hold? That is the easiest way and you can use the boppy for that.

Why do you think you need to build up your supply? Why are you giving him bottles? 3 ounces is a pretty normal amount. Do you pump after the milk stops flowing? If you pump for another 5 minutes you may get another letdown.

Can you tell us more about your pumping routine and why you think you have low supply?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Nursing and Pumping at same time?

Sorry, I guess some background information would help. I started going back to work about a month ago. I work 8-5. Feed DS at 7am, pump at 10am, go home and nurse at 1pm, pump at 4pm, nurse at 7pm, he goes to sleep at 9, nurses at 1am and start again at 7. Recently when he eats the expressed breast milk at 10 and 4 my dad (kid's caretaker while I'm at work) says he is scarfing down 4 ounces and seems like he wants more. As stated before, on average I only get about 3 ounces when I pump so he's eating one ounce more than I produce, so I'm afraid eventually the freezer supply I've built up is going to run out.
    JJ
    Wife to Tim 5/13/05
    Mommy to Tiffany 4/29/06 and Tyler 8/17/09
    Breastfeeding/pumping at work for as long as I can, so far so good!