Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RSV & Synagis

Default Re: RSV & Synagis

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399 View Post
    We have our first shot on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes. Should I treat her as if she has had any other shot? Tylenol and lots of nursing and sleep?
    You can give tylenol for the pain of the shot, but I don't remember a fever or anything like that being a side effect of it. I gave her tylenol about 1/2 a hour before hand. When she was a young baby, I would nurse her while she got her shot and she didn't even know that it happened, since she is older, it doesen't work....might give that a try.

I am concerned about RSV with my DS. He was born at 37 weeks 2 days and had low birth weight (5 lbs 11 oz). He is mostly formula fed with as much BM as I can give him (about 1 oz per day). He is around smokers (my mom and my friend and her hubby) but they don't smoke in the same room with him. Should I look into him getting the shot as well? He is healthy, gaining weight well (up to 17lbs now) and has not been sick, except for a runny nose (Which I swear is allergies!). TIA for the advice!!

Well, the shot is extremely expensive and is rarely covered by insurance. It was a huge fight for us, and we have a 33 weeker who was 4 pounds. You can bring it up to your Pediatrician, but chances are your son does not qualify. By that I mean that even though your son may be at risk of getting RSV, his fatality risk is not as great as a Preemie, which is why we are getting it. Good luck, I hope your son stays healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399 View Post
    Well, the shot is extremely expensive and is rarely covered by insurance. It was a huge fight for us, and we have a 33 weeker who was 4 pounds. You can bring it up to your Pediatrician, but chances are your son does not qualify. By that I mean that even though your son may be at risk of getting RSV, his fatality risk is not as great as a Preemie, which is why we are getting it. Good luck, I hope your son stays healthy.
    Same with us, she was 34 weeks and weighed 5 lbs, it was a 2 month fight with the insurance company to get ours approved, which they approved it to be given in the NICU and then did not want to continue it when she was released. It didn't make sense to me other than they didn't want to pay for it. It took me faxing over her day to day records from the NICU over to them along with all her other hospital admissions and calling them on the phone on a daily basis....Hey they might of approved it to get me to leave them alone, but our pedi told me to keep after them about it since she was a preemie and she was having major apnea spells and aspiration....

Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    Same with us, she was 34 weeks and weighed 5 lbs, it was a 2 month fight with the insurance company to get ours approved, which they approved it to be given in the NICU and then did not want to continue it when she was released. It didn't make sense to me other than they didn't want to pay for it. It took me faxing over her day to day records from the NICU over to them along with all her other hospital admissions and calling them on the phone on a daily basis....Hey they might of approved it to get me to leave them alone, but our pedi told me to keep after them about it since she was a preemie and she was having major apnea spells and aspiration....
    I have to admit, I can't take much of the credit. My Pediatrician spent her spare time - and much of her office time - soliciting the help of other doctors and calling the insurance company several times a day. She wrote letters, she called the newspapers, she did everything in her power to get this for us. We are really lucky to have such a dedicated doctor.

Please let me start by saying that I hope you do not take any negativity out of my comment.

I am NICU nurse and my firt thought when I read your post was "Why wouldn't she get Synagis?????" Having a preemie is difficult enough, why would you risk further problems by possbily opening him/her up to a horrid virus that could literally kill your child?

Again, please do not look at this as an attack on you......I just wanted to know your reasoning for possibly not doing it.

Rikki

Quote Originally Posted by rik8144 View Post
    Please let me start by saying that I hope you do not take any negativity out of my comment.

I am NICU nurse and my firt thought when I read your post was "Why wouldn't she get Synagis?????" Having a preemie is difficult enough, why would you risk further problems by possbily opening him/her up to a horrid virus that could literally kill your child?

Again, please do not look at this as an attack on you......I just wanted to know your reasoning for possibly not doing it.

Rikki

I haven't taken any offense to your post, it's a valid question. I was looking to see if any child had any negative reaction to the shot that has not been documented in the research. When I set out on this whole baby journey, I did not intend to vaccinate (and I'm not looking to get into a debate about it, it's now a moot point with a Preemie) and am concerned about the negative reactions that children have had with shots. I myself am someone who was unable to be vaccinated due to a severe allergic reaction (I got very sick as a baby because of shots and was afraid that the kind of allergy I suffered from was hereditary), and I was wondering if that had happened to anyone with Synagis. I also do not know anything about RSV - other than what I have read - and was looking for some real-life experience from the mom's here to find out if it really is more horrible than anything else. (I had the chicken pox and it wasn't so bad, but that does not mean that someone else didn't have a really bad reaction, which is why it is vaccinated for it now) I was just looking for a life experience discussion, and people to shed some light on the reality of the matter. Any experience you can share as a NICU nurse? I should also point out that my daughter is 6 months old and I have read some information about it being pointless to do the shot after 6 months adjusted, which will be in December. Any thoughts on that?

I would probably go ahead and get the shot atleast through this season. We actually run a "Kids Clinic" out of our unit that follows all of our preemies through the first 1-2 years with their RSV shots.

Most importantly: make sure everyone you know washes their hands this season, do not alow visitors that are sick or think they may be sick, try o avoid large gatherings (ie: malls, stores, etc) during the height of flu season, keep up with well child visits.

All of this is basic preemie stuff. I hope all goes well for you and your family this season!

Quote Originally Posted by rik8144 View Post
    I would probably go ahead and get the shot atleast through this season. We actually run a "Kids Clinic" out of our unit that follows all of our preemies through the first 1-2 years with their RSV shots.

Most importantly: make sure everyone you know washes their hands this season, do not alow visitors that are sick or think they may be sick, try o avoid large gatherings (ie: malls, stores, etc) during the height of flu season, keep up with well child visits.

All of this is basic preemie stuff. I hope all goes well for you and your family this season!
    Thanks for the tips. I hope you have a healthy season as well.

My DS was approved for Synagis and recieved one dose, however despite the former approval we switched insurance companies and the new insurance denied us because we didn't have enough "risk factors" and I couldn't bring myself to lie and say dh or I smoked around the baby!!!

He didn't have any symptoms or discomfort from the shot and we didn't need to give him Tylenol as with his yearly vaccines.

I'm still upset that we were denied! My son was born at 35 weeks and the insurance company told us that all babies born between 32 or 33 - 35 weeks had to have two or more risk factors in addition to prematurity in order to qualify.