Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RSV & Synagis

Default Re: RSV & Synagis

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMama
    I know you have had lots of response to your post but I can't help adding my own. I am a very proud Mama to a 28wk DD and a 36wk DS. I firmly believe that parents should work hard to be strong advocates for their children. Having to make a choice about medications and immunizations can be difficult especially for a tiny baby ( mine were 2 1/2 and 5 lbs) I chose to have my daughter receive Synagis her first winter. I will say the shots are no picnic. My DH always hid in the waiting room. I agree with much of the previous posts. RSV is everywhere and we all get it but RSV in a preemie can be devastating to their immature bodies and immune systems. I wish you a safe and healthy RSV season.
    Thank you so much for offering another perspective. When you say no picnic, was it worse than any other shot? Did your daughter have any reactions to it? Would you do it again? You can PM me if you would rather answer these questions in private, and I really appreciate you sharing thus far. I also believe that we should be strong advocates, which is why I think it is important to hear others experiences and the more information I get, the more I can feel confident about my decision.

Thank you to all for helping me make this very difficult decision.

I am answering this in the public forum to allow others to see more info on preemies. I am a huge cheerleader for nursing preemies ang I thing every post helps to encourage others. Please fee free to pm me if you have question you would rather not share. I love talking about our experiences as parents of preemies. About the RSV shots I'll clarify what I meant. The shots themselves were pretty standard. She had soreness at the site of the injection for several days. She never had a reaction to the shots. The not so fun part is that they have the shot every month through RSV season. In our case Oct - March. Still my DD was never sick for her first year. The RSV protocal was definitely a part of her good health. Breastmilk was also!! I hope this helps. Keep posting so we know how you both are doing.

My wonderful son was born at 37 weeks and 6 days. I had an amnio to confirm his lungs were developed before they induced labor. At six months, however, my son got RSV and was in the hospital for a week. The first few days were touch and go. He developed bilateral pneumonia and became hypoxic. Thus I strongly encourage doing all you can to protect your child from RSV. My sister's twins received Synagis with no ill affects.

One note different from the other posters. . . My son's pediatrician said he should get Synagis this year to prevent him from getting RSV this year. She said that, like the flu, RSV mutates so having had it once will not protect him from getting it again (although it shouldn't be as life-threatening, but why take chances?)

Quote Originally Posted by JmeNYC View Post
    My wonderful son was born at 37 weeks and 6 days. I had an amnio to confirm his lungs were developed before they induced labor. At six months, however, my son got RSV and was in the hospital for a week. The first few days were touch and go. He developed bilateral pneumonia and became hypoxic. Thus I strongly encourage doing all you can to protect your child from RSV. My sister's twins received Synagis with no ill affects.

One note different from the other posters. . . My son's pediatrician said he should get Synagis this year to prevent him from getting RSV this year. She said that, like the flu, RSV mutates so having had it once will not protect him from getting it again (although it shouldn't be as life-threatening, but why take chances?)
    No, it doesen't prevent them from getting it again if they have already had it. The Synagis shot from all the research I have done will not do a full term baby or a baby that has already had it any good. It's not a vaccine, it's a human protein that is lab created that your son already recieved from you. The synagis shot is also not guarenteeded nor will it prevent RSV. After a baby is past the infant baby stage, like 6 months of age, RSV is like a cold. Most babies get RSV before the age of 2 years old, it's those first few months where it is horriable and it can be deadly to preemies (babies born before 36 weeks). I doubt that your insurance company will approve it unless your son has lung disease, heart disease, etc...here is some of the risk factors:

Usually, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) causes mild, cold-like symptoms. However, in some babies, the symptoms can quickly get worse and can even become life-threatening.
    Severe RSV disease is more likely to develop in babies with the following risk factors:
    - Premature birth (with or without lung disease).
    - In infants born prematurely, RSV can become a serious respiratory tract infection that requires hospitalization.
    - Being born with lung disease. Babies younger than 2 years old born with lung disease who have needed medical care for it within 6 months before RSV season are at high risk.
    - Being born with heart disease. Babies younger than 2 years old born with serious heart disease may be at high risk.
    - Low birth weight. Low birth weight (less than 5.5 lb) greatly increases the risk of death from RSV.
    - Family history of asthma. There is a higher risk for severe RSV in children with a family history of asthma.
    - Tobacco smoke and other air pollutants. You should never allow anyone to smoke around your baby. Tobacco smoke and other air pollutants can irritate your baby’s lungs and make it harder to fight RSV.
    - Multiple births. Multiple births (for example, twins) increase the risk for RSV because of low birth weight and an increased number of young siblings in the household.

My neice had RSV 2 times last year, once when she was 2 months old, it was really horriable, she was on breathing treatments for it, and again at 7 months old, it was like a cold, my nephew also had it at 4 weeks old (he was 6 weeks premature and it required a stay from the NICU to the PICU so he could be issolated), he did not qualify for the synagis shot then due to his immune system was already built up to fight it since he had it already and knew what to do the next time....he had RSV again when he was almost 2, the one when he was almost 2, just like a cold.

The synagis shot is also very expensive, from what we were told & our insurance company confirmed this, it was $2,500.00 per shot (last year, I don't know if it has went up again) and has to be given once a month (every 30 days) for the duriation of the RSV season in whatever location you live in (our is Oct. - March).
    Madeline does not qualify for the Synagis shot this year due to she is past the critical stage and she does not have heart of lung disease, even though she was born at 34 weeks.
    Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; October 2nd, 2006 at 09:41 AM.

An update:

We finally got the approval from the insurance company, although it was quite a struggle and I credit the success to my wonderful Pediatrician. My daughter was born at 33 weeks, spent 4 weeks in the NICU, was on caffeine until 44 weeks and I have a severe history of asthma. I couldn't believe that the insurance company had denied us at first. I'm still not sure if we have been approved for all 7 months, but at the very least she will be covered until her 6 month adjusted age (she is 6 months actual now).

I really appreciate the support and advice that I got from everyone here. This forum is such a wonderful resource and it's really nice to hear the opinions and stories of people who have been in my position. Thank you all for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399 View Post
    An update:

We finally got the approval from the insurance company, although it was quite a struggle and I credit the success to my wonderful Pediatrician. My daughter was born at 33 weeks, spent 4 weeks in the NICU, was on caffeine until 44 weeks and I have a severe history of asthma. I couldn't believe that the insurance company had denied us at first. I'm still not sure if we have been approved for all 7 months, but at the very least she will be covered until her 6 month adjusted age (she is 6 months actual now).

I really appreciate the support and advice that I got from everyone here. This forum is such a wonderful resource and it's really nice to hear the opinions and stories of people who have been in my position. Thank you all for sharing.
    CONGRATS!!!!! Was your LO on Cafcit? Madeline was on that for about 2 months then switched over to Thelophlin (sp?)

Quote Originally Posted by babygirlsmom1005 View Post
    CONGRATS!!!!! Was your LO on Cafcit? Madeline was on that for about 2 months then switched over to Thelophlin (sp?)
    Thank you. She was on Cafcit. Is Madeline still on Caffeine now?

How is the baby doing? Please let us know
    Last edited by BrooklynMama; October 9th, 2006 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399 View Post
    Thank you. She was on Cafcit. Is Madeline still on Caffeine now?
    She was on it for 2 months and then was on Thelophlyn (sp?) until she was 4 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMama View Post
    How is the baby doing? Please let us know
    We have our first shot on Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes. Should I treat her as if she has had any other shot? Tylenol and lots of nursing and sleep?