Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one breast pumping more milk than other

Default one breast pumping more milk than other

Hello! I have been pumping for about 7 days now and noticed that my left breast will pump about 5 oz while my right will give about 3 oz. Can anyone tell me why this is? Do i have a plugged gland or something? Or is this normal? I pump about 3-5 times a day and once in the middle of the night. I have a Medela double breast pump so I pump each breast at the same time.

Thanks for the help!

Mother of 10 day old baby girl!

Default Re: one breast pumping more milk than other

and Congrats on you baby girl!

Yes that's totally normal! My right only produced 1/2 0r 1/3 of what the left did . Nothing to worry about. And in case you were wondering, the amount you are pumping is WAY enough for baby. Dont panic if you start to produce less, you body will regulate itself. Nice job Mama keep it up and try to get the baby to the brest as much as possible, it's much easier in the end!

I'm just the opposite. I can usually get 3-4 out of the right and 2-3 out of the left! So yes, its normal!

and

Congratulations on the new baby!

It's totally normal to have one breast produce more than the other.

Can you share the reason why you're pumping? Are you having trouble nursing, are you trying to increase supply, are you coping with engorgement, are you trying to build up a stash for a return to work? Those are all things we may be able to help with!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your help everyone! I am returning to work at the end of January and I just decided to start bottle feeding now instead of later. Also my husband can help feed as well which he likes and is nice. I did have troubles in the beginning with latching on and positioning (i had to have a c sec). She lost quite a bit of weight so I got scared and wanted to know exactly how much she was eating. I was supplementing with a bulb syringe. Now that shes doing good I would like to try again with breast feeding at night...we will see how it goes!

Thanks!

I can understand why you went straight to pumping. However, generally moms are advised to master breastfeeding first, and introduce the bottle only after 3-4 weeks. A lot of babies quickly get hooked on the bottle and reject the breast- it's called nipple confusion. It's a challenge that you may or may not face. If you do, the following links are helpful:Help - My Baby Won't Nurse! and Alternative Feeding Methods

I would also see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Nothing beats hands-on help!!!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"