Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too Much Food? Bowel Movement Change...

Default Too Much Food? Bowel Movement Change...

MY SON JUST TURNED 7 MONTHS ON THE 3RD, & SINCE HE WAS 6 MONTHS I STARTED FEEDING HIM SOLIDS.

FOR BREAKFAST HE GET 3 1/2 -- 4 TABLESPOONS OF CEREAL WITH A THIRD OF A STAGE 2 JAR OF FRUIT.

LUNCH IS 2--3 TABLESPOONS OF CEREAL WITH THE REMAINING FRUIT FROM BREAKFAST

DINNER IS A 2.5 OUNCE OF STAGE 2 CHICKEN OR TURKEY AND ABOUT HALF A JAR OF A STAGE 2 FRUIT -OR- A STAGE 2 DINNER AND HALF A JAR OF STAGE 2 FRUIT.

I MAKE HIM ABOUT 4 BOTTLES OF EBM A DAY BUT I PUT A TABLESPOON OF CEREAL IN THEM SO HE RARELY DRINKS THE WHOLE BOTTLE.

IS THAT TOO MUCH?? AT HIS 6 MONTH CHECK UP HE WAS 16 LBS.

ALSO HIS POO HAS CHANGED FROM THE SOFT MUSTURD SEEN TYPE TO GREENISH FORMED MOVEMENTS..WHICH IS ABOUT EVERY OTHER DAY..IS THAT NORMAL??

AND WHEN HE HAS TO GO HE IS VERY CONCENTRATED LOOKING COULD THAT BE LIKE DIS-STRESS OR PAIN?
    Cakelicious**

Default Re: Too Much Food? Bowel Movement Change...

I don't know if i'm the best person to reply, since my LO is 4 months and not on solids. However, I DO know that mommy's milk is still supposed to be your LO's main source of nutrition right now. Solid foods are just for experimenting right now.

But I hope you get more replies from momma's who have BTDT!

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

It sounds like too much to me. Also, why are you putting cereal into the bottles? Solids should be eaten as solids and liquids should be eaten as liquids.

Solids are really only for experimentation at that age. I think your 7 month old may be eating more solid food a day than my 13 month old. Breastmilk has more calories and nutrition than any of the solids you are feeding, so if you're trying to get him to gain weight, solids is not the way to do it.

Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    It sounds like too much to me. Also, why are you putting cereal into the bottles? Solids should be eaten as solids and liquids should be eaten as liquids.

Solids are really only for experimentation at that age. I think your 7 month old may be eating more solid food a day than my 13 month old. Breastmilk has more calories and nutrition than any of the solids you are feeding, so if you're trying to get him to gain weight, solids is not the way to do it.

My LO is 7 months old too! We are doing BLS and he hardly eats any solids. They are mostly for experimentation at this age as previous person said. I also wouldn't put cereal into a bottle...I believe it is a choking hazard.
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Wow, that really sounds like a lot of food! I'm not sure my 22 month old eats that much.

My personal opinion, and it's just my opinion, not a medical one, is that solids are for fun and play right now, and that your baby will let you know if he is still hungry after nursing. At that point, he will eat (if you let him do it himself) exactly the right amount for him. I really recommend baby led solids. It makes sure you don't over feed or underfeed your LO, since you are still nursing all the time and offering self-feeding foods for your baby to eat as he wants to. It also helps teach babies to understand and regulate their meals, so they don't learn to overeat, which can be problematic later in life.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

My dd is 6 1/2 months old and she'll have 2-4 teaspoons of stage 1 baby food a day. Sometimes I'll forget and we'll skip a day or two, but just with that amount of food I have noticed a change in bowel movements

She used to go EVERY day at least 5 times, and now is going every 3 days or so. She doesn't seem to be in pain or distress, her gas is AWFUL!, and when she goes it's just as awful. Our pedi said for us to give her a little bit of prune juice. We tried, but she didn't like it! So I've just been giving her
    her 2 oz. of water and putting breastmilk in her baby food when I do give it to her.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

My LO is very similar. He never got the hang of nursing and has been on EBM for 7 1/2 mo. I have heard its not good to put cereal in bottles too, but we were actually told to do so by the pediatrician due to acid reflux. He gets about 1-2 tbsp of cereal per 2 oz of milk which helps thicken the milk and keep it down.

It does sound like the solid diet may be just a bit much at this age. My guy gets about 4-6 tbsp of cereal, 3.5 oz fruit, and 3.5 oz of veggies each day for solids. However, he also gets quite a lot of additional cereal in his bottles too. He is starting to not want bottles as much, so I may increase the solids just a little and introduce some proteins.

If you are worried about constipation, you could offer more fiber rich foods - oatmeal, apples, prunes and avoid bananas and rice cereal that may stop him up. I am also concerned about this and am trying to offer milk as much as possible since should be the primary source of nutrition and fluid.