Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ped pushing solid food at 6 months

Default Ped pushing solid food at 6 months

Saw the pediatrician today for my sons 6 month checkup. She says he looks great, he's a big baby. 28 1/2 inches and 23 1/2 pounds. But she says to start giving him more solids and supplement solids with breastfeeding. I'm really confused because i thought the opposite was true. Shes been pushing solids since 4 months. My inclination is to ignore the suggestion/advice but I wondered if anyone else has heard this. He is eating one jar of fruit per day already.

Default Re: Ped pushing solid food at 6 months

My pedi was doing the same thing, and the fine mamas here helped me to know that I am in the driver's seat when it comes to Nessa and her food consumption. Our pedi went so far as to give us a "feeding schedule", which we completely ignore (listed the times and amounts to feed Nessa, and limited bfing to 4x a day).

So, we give Nessa solids most days (she'll be 8 mo on Saturday), but she still nurses upwards of 8 times a day. She is happy, healthy and fully nourished.

Do what your gut/heart/mind tells you to. Your pedi can give you advice, but you do not have to accept it and implement it!
    Anna, mama to baby Nessa born on 4/19/09 at 4 lb 13 oz - now she's 18 lbs!
    Loving cloth diapers
    Know someone with breast cancer in southern California who is struggling financially? We help low-income women with breast cancer.
    194 * * * ****140****135

The LC I work with said to breastfeed/supplement a full feeding, then let baby eat as much as he wants of solids after the full feeding. She also wanted us to limit solid meals to only once or twice a day. Hope this bit of info helps you.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

You have to try to remember that what you feed your LO is a parenting choice, not a medical one (unless of course there are allergies or weight issues). At my LO's 4 month check up, solids were brought up. I told the pedi that I was waiting to introduce them at 6 months. He was okay with that because my LO is doing just fine on mommy's milk alone. I'm not sure what he'll advise on the 6 month mark, but i'm not at all interested in a feeding "schedule" or anything of that sort. Those types of things are my and my DH decisions.

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

I don't know how "pushy" your ped is being, but solids are a good idea at 6 months for several reasons. But if your baby is being well-nourished by breastmilk, my only idea would be to try something new every 4-5 days or every week. Babies around that age are more willing to try new things than they are when they're older, so you have a better chance of avoiding pickiness than if you have a 9-month-old who's only ever had bm and apples. And definitely a full feeding of bm before any solids.
    Had Bradley wanderbaby #1 on 5/9/09, bf 10 months before let-down problems drove us both crazy and we had to stop. Wanderbaby #2 born 6/9/12 (in a wheelchair - we made it to the hospital with 4 minutes to spare!).
    Currently due 5/13 and at work, waiting for supply problems to force us to formula. Need lots of
    Doing one parent/one language with our bilingual bebitas.

Solids are just supposed to be for exploration and practice at this time. I would always nurse baby first and then start to slowly offer solids. I would at least OFFER them...even if baby isn't that interested...at least they get a chance to experience them. Both of my kids started solids about a week before they turned 6mos and they never really "ate" a meal until around 8mos.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thanks for all the replies ladies. I do plan to let him try new things gradually. But breastmilk will always be first. i guess I was really concerned because the doc actually said to feed him solids first and then breastfeed----totally backwards if you ask me. He is above the 97th percentile in height and weight and I don't think he needs soloids primarily. Again, thanks for all the support!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bellyllama25 View Post
    i guess I was really concerned because the doc actually said to feed him solids first and then breastfeed----totally backwards if you ask me.
    Totally backwards! My baby was in roughly the same percentile as yours when she was 6 months, and my pediatrician would have given the exact opposite advice- nurse first, then offer solids. Just goes to show what a diversity of opinion there is on feeding babies solid foods!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What has your pedi said about your LO's weight? The reason I ask is because I read (either askdrsears.com or kellymom.com) that sometimes pedi's will suggest starting solids for baby's who are gaining weight rapidly. This way they get fuller on solids (less calories) before bf (higher calories).

That's the only thing I can think of that may "explain" your pedi pushing solids (not that I agree with that). I agree that bm comes first, then solids.

I w/pp to follow your "mommy" instinct.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...