Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipated or normal?

Default Constipated or normal?

DD is EBF, but we started her on solids about a month ago (no more than 4 teaspoons/day). Her "explosions" were still good. We drove back home for Thanksgiving (750 miles one way) about 12 hrs on the road. Her poopy diapers decreased some. The day we got back (last Saturday) she had 2 big explosions.
    Then Tuesday, one so-so poopy diaper. Then just very hellacious farts!!
    Thursday, we had her 6 month check-up/vax, and pedi said to give her a little bit of prune juice. DD didn't have much because she didn't like it!! But later that night, she had a good poopy diaper (seemed "pastey" to me).
    And until today (Saturday), still no poop again

Is it normal for babies to have less poopy diapers once they start solids? Or is LO constipated? I don't hear her "struggling", grunting, straining, pushing, or trying to go poop Am I worrying too much?
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: Constipated or normal?

Hey girl! If she's not showing strain, seeming in pain or having any other sypmtoms, my guess is that she's fine.
    So nice that she is taking solids so well! I think it's gonna be a longer road over here
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Thanks! How's your LOs poops after that much needed explosion?
    Now I'm stressing because on top of her not going at least once/day, her pedi wants her to start on an iron supp. which can also cause constipation! And I'm fighting another clogged duct getting pretty bad, so i'm trying to avoid mastitis AGAIN (because of the darn abx)! I'm pretty frustrated!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    Thanks! How's your LOs poops after that much needed explosion?
    Now I'm stressing because on top of her not going at least once/day, her pedi wants her to start on an iron supp. which can also cause constipation! And I'm fighting another clogged duct getting pretty bad, so i'm trying to avoid mastitis AGAIN (because of the darn abx)! I'm pretty frustrated!
    His poops are back to normal but we've stopped solids for now. We'll try again in a week or two. Thanks for asking!

Why does your pedi want her on iron? Haven't heard of that.
    And that sucks! I hope it doesn't get to mastitis for your sake mama. I have never had it and am trying to never get it.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

She said that it's needed because she's EBF (not ff) & that there's no way my body could meet her rapidly increasing needs AND maintain mine, too. I'm 5'5" and weigh 125 lbs. maybe she considers me "scrauny looking" . I did develop anemia early on in my pregnancy. Or maybe because dd had slight jaundice at birth? Or because she's in the 65 %tile for weight/growth? Those are the only things I can think of
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

I'm 5'3" and weigh about 95, so you're doing much better than me! I'm deperately trying to gain weight. At least my LO is nice and chunky...that's what matters right? haha
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold