Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 month old...milk supply issues

Default 7 month old...milk supply issues

My daughter is 7 months old, she has been breastfeeding really well I started solids at about 5 months old and she has been doing great. Now she is getting cereal and a fruit in the morning and a veggie and cereal at night.

I work and my mom keeps her during the day, I feed her at 7:30am and then when I get home 6:30/7:00. Here is my problem, she is only drinking maybe 8 ozs while I am gone. I usually send 3 4oz bottles but she is refusing them. I know she needs to get the milk and I am afraid she is not getting enough, granted I don't have a problem getting her to eat at night for me.

Another problem I am having is that my supply is dropping and I am struggling to get it back up. I am pumping the same but where I was getting 4 ozs I am now just getting 2ozs. I just got over my period, which I know took a toll on the milk but I am having trouble getting it back up. Do you think I should cut back the solids I am giving her? Do a weekend of nursing only? I want her to get the milk she needs but keep my supply up so I can continue to breastfeed for the first year.

I am currently taking 4 fenugreek capsules 3 times a day. I also just ordered some Mothers' milk tea to try. I really don't want to give it up but I am afraid that I am drying up at this point. HELP!! Please send me some advice!!!!!

Thanks
    Jill

Default Re: 7 month old...milk supply issues

8oz at daycare during the day really is a normal amount for a breastfed baby. She's getting the rest of what she needs from you at night. It's called reverse cycle nursing, and happens to many working parents. It means she'd rather get it straight from the source, instead of the bottle!

To help boost your supply, try a weekend of nursing as much as possible. You could also change up your pumping routine - location, patterns, etc - to jump-start your body. Add some oatmeal to your diet. Stay hydrated. Hand-express after the flow stops for the pump, you'll probably get another letdown. Read through this for more ideas: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!