Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3YO Nurser needs tooth extraction what to do about nursing?

Default 3YO Nurser needs tooth extraction what to do about nursing?

Need help! my 3YO avid nurser recently chipped his tooth and the ped dentist said we'd be ok with that tooth as long as the root healed and stayed intact. Well almost five months later DS developed a gum boil which means that the roots have died and the tooth needs to come out. Since it is one of his front teeth and he nurses morning, noon (naptime), and evening to sleep I am worried about the clot (after tooth is out) properly forming and his ability to nurse/suck. I know you aren't supposed to suck on anything for at least 24 hours to allow it to heal/clot, what am I supposed to do to get DS to sleep, and especially since we nurse for boo boos and for comfort?

Further ahead I am worried about remaining teeth moving/shifting which won't allow for enough room for adult teeth.

On another note we are also expecting in April 2010! I'm on the road to tandem nursing unless DS decides he's done.

Any comments welcome!! THANKS!

Default Re: 3YO Nurser needs tooth extraction what to do about nursing?

When is he getting the tooth out? Do you have some time to talk to him about it? I've experimented with refusing to nurse (also pregnant, due in April:-), and in the beginning it was so painful that I HAD to say no), and found that while my DS will freak out and scream and cry - eventually he'll calm down. For a while there, I'd let him lay his head on my bare breast and snuggle, but he couldn't nurse, and that seemed to work. I think if you can at least get thru the first 24 hours, and then work on weaning. I've been pushing my son towards weaning more and more - and it's been gradual but it's starting to work. He's given up the afternoon nap for the most part, and will fall asleep in Daddy's arms at night watching television more and more (and he NEVER used to fall asleep without nursing). I also really encouraged his attachment to a "lovey" and his little stuffed George helps him calm down too. We comfort nurse for boo boos too - and he just fell and bopped his head. Normally he'd have gone for the breast right away, but this time he just cried for a bit and snuggled on me and then squirmed away to go play again. I just wanted to give you hope that you can wean, gently and slowly, and it'll work.
    Last edited by @llli*jessieandsamsmom.melissa; December 5th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

I am worried that with a front tooth out, his latch would be more painful. Is there any hope of doing a pulpotomy on the tooth and capping it?

Thanks Melissa and Juno,

I think I'll try to get a second ped dentist opinion and ask about the pulpotomy, been doing a little research on the internet and maybe we can hopefully keep his tooth as is and not worry about spacing issues.

OR I guess worst case scenario he loses the tooth then Melissa is right and we'll just have to avoid nursing for those 24 hours and get through it somehow!

We'll just take it one day at a time just like everything else! THANKS!

dd broke a front tooth a few months ago & had it removed ( she is 2), I just couldn't nurse her after bedtime beforehand because of the sedative, but let her nurse afterward although she only nursed a few minutes when we got home and then was out for a few hours. She healed up in no time within a day or two you couldn't even see where it came out. Also, the dentist said with just a front tooth missing, the teeth usually don't shift it's normally removal of the back teeth that cause more of a problem with crowding. Hope that helps.
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...

Thanks jadesmama, that really does help!! I'm not sure how sedate he'll be for the day, he's only getting local anesthesia and the nitrous! I'm glad that the front teeth don't usually remove, was dreading on spending more money for spacers and such!!

Happy that it won't be as bad as I thought it was!

Thanks for the words of support from experience!!

Jen