Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Isn't it possible to have thrush on nipples w/o baby having an obvious case?

Question Isn't it possible to have thrush on nipples w/o baby having an obvious case?

My OB/GYN keeps acting all skeptical when I say I think I might have some yeast overgrowth on my nipples, based on symptoms, even though DS doesn't have any symptoms. Can't I have it w/o him having any obvious symptoms???
    ---Josie

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a baby girl!

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

DS Ian, DOB 8/6/8 via C-sec., 9 lb!
    BF for 22 mo.

DD born via vbac 11/25/11!

Default Re: Isn't it possible to have thrush on nipples w/o baby having an obvious case?

AND, is Diflucan a good place to begin? I can't do GSE every hour bc I teach. I doubt a bunch of teenagers would be comfortable with me applying GSE in their presence!
    ---Josie

DS Owen, DOB 10/28/6, 6 lb 4oz, adopted from Guatemala, home forever 8/1/6 (we met him at 4w old! Mommy lived w/him in Guatemala from 5/28/6 till he came home!)

BF for 22 mo.

Default Re: Isn't it possible to have thrush on nipples w/o baby having an obvious case?

Yes you can have thrush, both internally and externally, without baby ever showing signs. Mine never did and I had it like a billion times.

Diflucan should be your last resort to battle thrush. And if at this point it is only on the surface, Diflucan wouldn't be your best bet anyways.

If you can, get your doctor to write you a script for Dr Newman's APNO. That would last longer for you due to your schedule. If you can't get them to write a script, you can do a not as strong version of it at home with items from the drugstore. (but the script kind is better). Then you can do the GSE at home. With it being the weekend, you should be able to get a jump start on it.

Good luck mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Yes I had a wicked case of thrush and LO didnt have symptoms. Sometimes OBs are resistant to say that it's thrush for some reason. I would still however make sure baby gets treated as well so as not to pass it back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    Yes I had a wicked case of thrush and LO didnt have symptoms. Sometimes OBs are resistant to say that it's thrush for some reason. I would still however make sure baby gets treated as well so as not to pass it back and forth.
    OK, so if I really think that's what it is, I'll push my OB to write that scrip. Although, he's pretty know-it-all and if he doesn't believe me...

Anyway, I will call DS's ped., too. Thanks ladies...!
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

Ugh. I hate when doctors are like that. Mine is a little know it all too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Ugh. I hate when doctors are like that. Mine is a little know it all too.

My doctor is actually amazing...he's renowned throughout the state. But when he's sure of something, he sometimes can't let it go.
    ---Josie

BF for 22 mo.

I have been wondering this myself lately... I *think* I might have thrush, but DS doesn't have any symptoms that I can tell. My nips weren't sore at all for the first 3-4 weeks of his life, but he's almost 6 weeks now and they have been hurting for the last 2 weeks or so.

I think I will try on Monday to have the OB or midwife call in a script for me for the APNO. Do I have to tell them what's in it, and does a compounding pharmacy have to make it?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.