Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF 2 year old and TTC

Default BF 2 year old and TTC

Hello everyone,

I am nursing my now 26 month old and I am trying to get pregnant. I am not having any luck! Everyone is telling me it is because I am BF, even the doctors!!!!! What am I to do? I BF my daughter and she isn't ready to wean but I'm also 39 years old. Do I give up on wanting a second child? Please help! I am very discouraged.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Default Re: BF 2 year old and TTC

Do you know if you are ovulating yet? If you are, you are.
    From everything I've read, if you are ovulating then nursing is no longer suppressing fertility. Does that make sense?

How long have you guys been trying?

Yep if you're ovulating then nursing won't affect conception. Are you charting or have tried an OPK yet?
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

with PP

I did not even start to ovulate until I dropped to two nursings a day with my then 18 month old. No sign of anything until then. Ovulated shortly after starting the two nursings, and got pg quickly with never having a period in between. That was pretty nice!
    Mommy to DS - 12/29/2007 and DD - 4/11/2010
    We are taking tandem nursing day by day

We have trying (sort of) for a few months. I get a period every month so I should be ovulating...right? I no longer pump during the day but we cosleep and I nurse before going to work and on demand when I'm home. What's charting?

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

with the PP: if you're ovulating, nursing should not impact your chances of conceiving.

Charting is making a graph of your fertility signs (basal body temperature, cervical mucus) so that you can more accurately identify when ovulation is occurring. It really works and it's great for women who want to achieve (or avoid) pregnancy.

Here's a terrific book on how to chart: Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Tadpoles-Mom View Post
    We have trying (sort of) for a few months. I get a period every month so I should be ovulating...right? I no longer pump during the day but we cosleep and I nurse before going to work and on demand when I'm home. What's charting?
    Most likely you are ovulating, but it is possible to have have cycles and not ovulate. I wouldn't be too worried about kind of trying for a few months. Even if you know exactly when you ovulate and you have perfect timing there is a little less than a 30% chance of viable pregnancy.
    Charting (Taking Charge of Your Fertility is awesome, also check out fertilityfriend.com) can help you determine when you ovulate.
    Not everyone ovulates in the middle of their cycle! My cycles and ovulation actually changed A LOT postpartum so don't ovulate at the same time and I also do not have the same length of cycles as I did before I had G.

I think that if you've tried for 6 months (for ages 35+) that you can get in touch with someone about possible fertility testing and help with figuring things out. So keep trying!

Thank you everyone. I'm picking up the book today!

My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)