Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medela Softfit sheilds vs the regular personal fit?

Default Medela Softfit sheilds vs the regular personal fit?

Ok so when I pumped for DS back in the day all I had were the regular personal fit shields that came with my PISA and they hurt my breasts so bad. There was no massaging or anything to help stimulate letdown. So at the time, I would use my Avent ISIS IQ Uno electric pump when I was really sore because it had the letdown massage cushion which was really comfortable for me. But (cause there's always a but), I don't like that pump cause my milk would get sucked in between the cusion and the shield and I would constantly lose suction. So my question to you is, is the softfit shields that medela offers similar to the comfort of the avent isis? I am considering buying them to replace the hard personal fit shields I have for my PISA because I don't want to mess with using my avent pump this time around. Thank you
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi I'm Stella, mom to Owen (12/06) and Nathan (07/10) and wife to Dale
    Holy Batman! with another BOY due to arrive July 2011

Default Re: Medela Softfit sheilds vs the regular personal fit?

The soft shields are only in the regular size, which may not be helpful if you are using a larger flange size. I can't speak to comfort, because I wear the larger sizes.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

Yeah I saw that they were a standard size which is OK with me. Is it more comfortable though than the hard plastic ones or is the difference so subtle it's not worth it?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My hand pump came with the soft fit and then some hard regular ones came with the kit to upgrade to a single electric.

Holy crap do I like the soft fit better! There's no... tugging feeling is the only way I can describe it. The breast gets compressed because the soft part contracts and releases with the pump instead of just having your nipple tugged. I love them and strongly suggest trying them out.

Apparently it's recommended to NOT put them in the Medela steam sterilization bags.... I just read that on the last box of bags I got but I have been putting them in there for months. It will warp them a little. I guess that's why.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Are you sure you don't need larger horns? That may be why it was so painful.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ap9981 View Post
    My hand pump came with the soft fit and then some hard regular ones came with the kit to upgrade to a single electric.

Holy crap do I like the soft fit better! There's no... tugging feeling is the only way I can describe it. The breast gets compressed because the soft part contracts and releases with the pump instead of just having your nipple tugged. I love them and strongly suggest trying them out.

Apparently it's recommended to NOT put them in the Medela steam sterilization bags.... I just read that on the last box of bags I got but I have been putting them in there for months. It will warp them a little. I guess that's why.
    Thank you Melissa! I will definitely go ahead and get them. Anything has got to be better than the hard plastic ones lol.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Are you sure you don't need larger horns? That may be why it was so painful.
    I know for sure it's not the size. I bought the 36MM when I first got my pump and it still hurt just as much as the 24MM. I remember that the PISA pump didn't stimulate milk letdown well for me so I used to have to crank up the suction intensity and it will pull my whole boob down the shoot But with my Avent pump, I didn't have to up the suction because the pedals massaged my breasts and helped stimulate letdown and helped the milk to continue to flow. So I was hoping that the softfit shields would be similar to that.

I wanted to like the softfit shields but I found that they leaked a lot.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I like them....Just be careful taking them off....After 20mins of suction they are pretty 'stuck' to your breast!
    I am usually 'peeling' mine off!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*airportmom View Post
    I like them....Just be careful taking them off....After 20mins of suction they are pretty 'stuck' to your breast!
    I am usually 'peeling' mine off!
    Thank you for the warning! I bought some today at BRU. I know my body is already getting in gear. I'm 30 weeks today and I've already got colostrum leaking

Like a PP, I like the Softfit shields that came with my Freestyle more than the hard ones that came with my original PIS 10 years ago. The "peeling" did take a little getting used to but I think the soft plastic adapts over time as I do less peeling and more slow angled pull-away of the shield and don't have any problems. That way, I also capture the couple extra drops of milk that inevitably wind up getting wasted otherwise. Every drop counts! I do have the warning, though. I boiled my shields when I first got them and the soft plastic warped just enough to cause permanant pockets of air between my breast tissue and the shield. I called Medela to complain that their instructions allowed the deformation of the shield and they immediately sent me out another set. I'm not boiling this new set. I have kept the deformed set as a backup in case anything happens to my primary set.

Hope this helps!
    Married to my and mama to DS 8-99 and DD 8-09.