Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby using cutlery

Default Baby using cutlery

Recently, at her one-year check-up, the doctor asked if DD was feeding herself and I said yes--but she uses her hands. Later, I was reading over a handout the pediatrician had given to me and it said that babies this age should be encouraged to use cutlery. I was curious when your LOs started using cutlery and in what capacity. DD can eat sticky oatmeal with a spoon, if I put the oatmeal on the spoon first, but that's about it. She can also eat things speared with a fork, but is there a reason this is important to encourage? I mean, is this helpful for her development in some way (versus using her fingers)?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Baby using cutlery

This is one of those skills that requires coordination (like walking, crawling etc ) that can't be forced. It will happen when it happens. I have always just given my kids spoons to play with at meal times and when it seems they understand what they're for and it seems they won't gouge out an eye, I give them a kid fork. They usually can stab at stuff but don't become proficient in using them until well after they've turned 1.

Last edited by @llli*number4; December 2nd, 2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: bad typos
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

DS1 started getting mad at us if we didn't give him a fork at meals, since we had forks. That's how we knew he was ready.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

DD didn't start consistently using a spoon until she was around 13-14 months, and now uses a fork and a spoon confidently at 16 months and gets mad if we forget and expect her to use her fingers. They get it when they're ready!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

IMO those kid forks are a waste of time. I bought kid size real forks. They at some point want to mimic what you do. I think it was between 13-14months. But it gets weird if they can't stab.

Way too lazy for formula

Just wanted to come and say my boy - who had been 'getting' it just about needed stitches today on his gums Poor thing cried like crazy, bled a little and I felt horrible because I was giggling a little thinking of this thread as I was comforting him. He's fine now.
    Take home lesson - don't give a ravenous baby/kid a fork - wait until they've eaten some...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Mmmm, I guess the only problem now is that DD never really gets to watch us eat. DH is not around at meal times and now that the high chair has become an "instrument of torture" in DD's mind, I've somehow ended up feeding her with both of us sitting on the kitchen floor. I hope all of you aren't too horrified by this admission And feeding her is a two-handed job since she's often climbing all over me at the same time, and there is no way I could eat while she's eating.

I guess I could pretend to share her meal....

Oh no, number4, your poor baby! I hope he's okay. Mouth injuries can be really painful.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sobamom View Post
    Mmmm, I guess the only problem now is that DD never really gets to watch us eat. DH is not around at meal times and now that the high chair has become an "instrument of torture" in DD's mind, I've somehow ended up feeding her with both of us sitting on the kitchen floor. I hope all of you aren't too horrified by this admission And feeding her is a two-handed job since she's often climbing all over me at the same time, and there is no way I could eat while she's eating.

I guess I could pretend to share her meal....

Oh no, number4, your poor baby! I hope he's okay. Mouth injuries can be really painful.
    Just curious, what kind of high chair do you have? Is it the usual kind that stands by itself? We had one like that and DS1 started to hate it, I think he felt segregated. What helped for us was to get one of the ones that you strap to a chair and pull up to the table. I think then he felt a little more like he was eating WITH us rather than off by himself.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    Just curious, what kind of high chair do you have? Is it the usual kind that stands by itself? We had one like that and DS1 started to hate it, I think he felt segregated. What helped for us was to get one of the ones that you strap to a chair and pull up to the table. I think then he felt a little more like he was eating WITH us rather than off by himself.
    Actually, that's the kind of chair we have--the attach-to-table kind. I think part of it is that she just doesn't want to be strapped down to *anything* right now--carseat, high chair, etc. I do think she'd settle down if we actually had family meals with everyone properly sitting down and eating together, but we don't/can't.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    DD3 started eating with a fork and spoon (Royal Dalton For kids real silverware kid size) at right at 12 months. She can spear and scoop pretty well but she has amazing fine motor skills. I don't recall my other two showing much proficiency.
    Holy cow , that is amazing! I do have little dessert forks and spoons I could try letting DD use, but I can pretty much guess she'll toss them aside (she's really big on tossing the spoon after every single bite and god forbid I should try to take it away from her before she does) and just lunge for the food with both hands .