Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: combining nursing and solids - timing

Default combining nursing and solids - timing

I heard that you are supposed to nurse and offer solids at the same meal period, but I am finding that one or the other fillls my 7 mos old DD...is it ok to wait 1/2 hour to 1 hour inbetween both?

Default Re: combining nursing and solids - timing

I *think* the main concern is making sure your lo is getting enough fluids with her meals to avoid constipation. Maybe she's eating too much solids at this point? Is she pooping regularly and without pain?

I would think that as long as she's not constipated, she's fine. But, I'm not an "expert." And there may be other reasons for giving BM with meals...

Oh, indeed there is another reason: BM is a complete protein. So, what kind of solid foods does your daughter eat? If she's only eating, say, some apples and green beans, she's not getting a complete protein out of that meal. But throwing in yogurt, cheese, egg, meat, or BM will complete her meal, iykwim.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

What I did with my DD when she was that age, was I'd give her a BF when she woke from night sleep, or nap time, then an hour later I'd give her solids meal. If I tried to give her solids before that, she just wasn't hungry, as she was still full of BM.

Once she was about 11 months old (though here it's recommended to do this at around 8-9 months) I would swap around the order of BF and solids. Though to be honest, at 17 months now, she still has a BF first thing when she wakes, then solids an hour later. The only one I've properly swapped is the midday one, which usually is after solids (just before nap).
    Alison, mummy to Erin
    Born @ 30 weeks, 2nd July 2008, 3lb 11oz, fully breastfed

cloth nappy wearing bub.

Yes, right now she is eating only 1-2 times a day solid food which usually consists of rice cereal mixed with apple sauce, bananas or peaches and then a veggie like sweet potatoes or squash or green beans.