Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Weaning Question

Default Pump Weaning Question

Hi there,
    My baby is 10.5 months old. I pump twice at work - 9:30 am and 12:30/1:00 pm, and nurse her as soon as I pick up at 3:30. I would like to get rid of the afternoon pump, but keep the morning one. I get more milk in that morning pump, and would be really full if I didn't keep that one. Is it possible to just slowly cut out that afternoon pump and just keep the morning one?

Then in another month I hope to cut out that morning pump. Will I still have enough milk to nurse her at that time on the weekends?

TIA!!!

Default Re: Pump Weaning Question

my LO is 6 months and I only pump on the way home from work. Some days, especially Mondays, I get a little uncomfortable and try to sneak in a pump earlier in the day but my employer frowns on it. I have not had to supplement so far and I haven't used my freezer stash either. I have a large freezer stash (about 300 ounces) from when I pumped twice a day and froze everything he didn't take. Now I pump anywhere from 8-15 ounces on the way home from work and nurse him when I get home. He nurses through out the night and I always feel completely empty when I get up. I guess you can say that he reverse cycled because he doesn't take much milk during the day when I'm gone and DH is the caregiver two days a week so I know it isn't the sitter just not giving it to him. It does take a few days for your body to adjust to one less pump but I don't know if the afternoon pump would be the one I take away. I would try to just pump at lunch instead of only pumping in the morning and then being full all day. Can you just pump at lunch time? And yes you will be able to still nurse on the weekends. New research has found that your body doesn't take days to adjust to extra feedings like they used to think. It goes by feeding to feeding to make the amount needed. Being overly full does make your body think it needs to make less milk though. If you find you are extremely full during your adjustment period go pump but don't pump until the milk stops. Only pump a few ounces so you aren't uncomfortable. I never pump until the milk stops anymore. I was having over supply issues when I was pumping twice a day and pumping until it stopped. I found that a huge freezer stash does nothing but take up space anyway so now I stop pumping at 10 ounces because he never takes much more than that. I do however have extra on hand at the sitters and at home if he ever wants more.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sally73 View Post
    Hi there,
    My baby is 10.5 months old. I pump twice at work - 9:30 am and 12:30/1:00 pm, and nurse her as soon as I pick up at 3:30. I would like to get rid of the afternoon pump, but keep the morning one. I get more milk in that morning pump, and would be really full if I didn't keep that one. Is it possible to just slowly cut out that afternoon pump and just keep the morning one?

Then in another month I hope to cut out that morning pump. Will I still have enough milk to nurse her at that time on the weekends?

TIA!!!
    I think that should be fine. What *I* would do is slowly shorten the amount of time that you pump each session by a few minutes. That way you will be gradully telling your body to make less milk during these times, instead of quitting cold turkey.

YOu will be fine on the weekends. Just trust your body.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

Thank you ladies so so much!!! If I waited until lunch / noon to pump I am afraid I would be too full and get clogs (I get them a lot and just so happen to have mastitis right now - on antibiotics).

I am pumping a lot less for my second pump and am fine today - we will see how it is after a long weekend of nursing with baby. I was just worried it might be too soon (i.e., she is too young) for me to cut out a pumping.

I did find that when I was pumping twice at work until totally empty, I seemed to have an oversupply on the weekends, and was then constantly working on plugs. I am hoping that quitting some of this pumping will help late my DD 'drive' the amount of milk she needs, whereas up until now I am offering my breast a billion times a day some days to try to get her to nurse more.

I am really excited by the idea of only pumping once a day at work (and eventually none), and still nursing her when I want to at home!!!