Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should we heat it?

Default Should we heat it?

We are about to give Levi his first bottle in the next couple days, since I have to go back to work in 2 weeks. Should we try to give it to him cold first, or will that possibly turn him off to the idea of taking a bottle?

DS1 was bottle fed and he was very particular about the temperature, and I think it was because he always had it heated. It seems like it would be much easier if we don't have to worry about heating it.

Anybody have a LO that will take their bottle cold, or will most only take it heated?
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Default Re: Should we heat it?

My DD is okay with it being slightly below room temp, but she prefers it body temp.

There is really no medical reason to heat the bottle first, but it may be more comforting to the baby if it's warm.

Try a cool one before you go with a cold one. He may be okay with a room temp bottle.

It's up to your little one.
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

The only problem with a cold bottle is that the milk separates and I would be worried about them not getting all the fat. What about a slightly warmed bottle?

If you had a bottle warmer it would always be the same temperature. They don't seem too hard or complicated to use.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

We do have a bottle warmer. I pumped exclusively for DS1 until he was 17 months, so we dealt with bottles a lot. He was SO particular about the temperature that it made it hard to give him a bottle if we were out and didn't have access to a bottle warmer. I think that's where my concern is... DH is going to be taking care of them when I go back to work and it will make it hard for him to do much if DS2 is very particular about the bottle temp. I know it was hard to travel with DS1 because of that. With DS1 we never tried a cool/cold/room temperature bottle, so I think that was part of the problem.
    Beth

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

We heated for the first few weeks, and then my LC said to try without and he took it like that so we never heated again. It was awesome. And as far as the separation, pulling it from the fridge it will be separated of course, but then after you swirl it together it won't separate back out just because it is cold.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    We heated for the first few weeks, and then my LC said to try without and he took it like that so we never heated again. It was awesome. And as far as the separation, pulling it from the fridge it will be separated of course, but then after you swirl it together it won't separate back out just because it is cold.
    That sounds like it would be awesome. We drove to Connecticut and Texas from Georgia with Lance while I was EPing and getting the bottles to exactly the right temp while traveling was a nightmare! I really want to avoid DH having to deal with that. Of course I don't have to worry about bottles nearly as much this time though!
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    That sounds like it would be awesome. We drove to Connecticut and Texas from Georgia with Lance while I was EPing and getting the bottles to exactly the right temp while traveling was a nightmare! I really want to avoid DH having to deal with that. Of course I don't have to worry about bottles nearly as much this time though!
    It was for sure. I remember those first few weeks messing with bottle warmer, and we even have video of Albert with Nolan and he is crying and Albert is yelling "hurry hurry!" and I am yelling back "I'm going as fast as I can!"

No bottle warmer = bliss.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    It was for sure. I remember those first few weeks messing with bottle warmer, and we even have video of Albert with Nolan and he is crying and Albert is yelling "hurry hurry!" and I am yelling back "I'm going as fast as I can!"

No bottle warmer = bliss.
    That's one thing I don't miss! When Lance would wake up it was a race to get the bottle heated as fast as possible. And then we would heat it up and it wouldn't be exactly the right temperature. So he would scream. And then we would heat it up some more. And it would be too hot. And we'd have to add cold milk to get it to the right temperature. All the while more screaming.

It's so much easier just to stick a boob in a baby's mouth. I don't understand why anyone would choose to bottlefeed.
    Beth

We usually did cold too. Though it was hard convincing the grandmas they didn't have to warm it. Oh well.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    We do have a bottle warmer. I pumped exclusively for DS1 until he was 17 months, so we dealt with bottles a lot. He was SO particular about the temperature that it made it hard to give him a bottle if we were out and didn't have access to a bottle warmer. I think that's where my concern is... DH is going to be taking care of them when I go back to work and it will make it hard for him to do much if DS2 is very particular about the bottle temp. I know it was hard to travel with DS1 because of that. With DS1 we never tried a cool/cold/room temperature bottle, so I think that was part of the problem.
    There is a car bottle warmer, available at Target. It doesn't cost very much and it's very easy to use. My husband has one. He said it's a cinch to use and very compact, you could toss it into the diaper bag and it doesn't take up very much space at all!

Here, check this out: automobile bottle warmer
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount