Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where We're At

Default Re: Where We're At

Have you thought about night weaning? Sometimes it's an option instead of full blown weaning. I used Dr. Jay Gordons method sometime around 16 months.

Do you know what is causing your lack of appetite? Cause nursing makes me super hungry!

Maybe look into talking to someone about your anxiety? A counseler, support group etc.

You need to take care of yourself first in order to take care of your child.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

I have thought about night weaning but I don't mind nursing at night (too much!). Though I will read about the method you mentioned. But I am pushing for less nursing during the day when there are plenty of distractions (and food). So far she nursed 3 times this morning including for nap. I suspect she will nurse 3 more times including bedtime. And 3 times at night. 9 times in 24 hours!!!

I have been forcing myself to eat a little more since yesterday. I didn't get vitamins but, I will. Lack of appetite must be due to being so "wound up" all the time!!

I think yesterday was just "one of those days".. end of the semester projects don't help! Thanks for all your responses ladies
    Last edited by @llli*hiranmayii; December 3rd, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
    Nursed for 18 months

Wow, your post sounds like I wrote it, every single bit of it! My daughter is also 13 mths old and a constant nurser, especially since she learned the sign for milk, I have a really hard time trying to distract her and not nurse. She looks at me with this precious face and signs milk, I have to give in every. single. time. We also nurse ALL night. Most nights it doesn't bother me, even though I have been completely exhausted for over a year now. I've seriously become so used to being sleep-deprived that it doesn't bother me anymore. There are some nights, though, that it really gets me, like now - she's cutting molars and fights sleep / nurses all night. I'm also at a point with my weight where I'm unhappy ... while its nice to be this small and at one point in my life I would have been thrilled, I don't feel healthy and I don't think I look healthy, either. I also forget the vitamins,so maybe I should try that?

As far as advice, I don't have much ... I just keep telling myself that she will only be little once and it won't be this hard forever. She's my last baby and I was unable to nurse my first, so I'm trying to savor every moment. I don't want to wean her right now, but I would like her to eat more solids and not want to constantly be on my lap nursing :-) Good luck, I hope things get better for you!

Congrats for nursing this long! You've gotten some good info from pp's. Here are a couple of other things that came to mind; see if anything resonates with you. (I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. These are just tidbits I've run across over the years that may or may not play a part in how you are feeling).

Low zinc levels can affect appetite. If a zinc lozenge tastes really good to you, you may need more in your diet. (If it tastes nasty, you probably have enough).

Are you eating enough protein, or do you tend to snack on carbs?

I've read two interesting books lately (researching stuff for my own family): The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and Little Sugar Addicts by Kathleen DesMaisons. I believe both of these authors have websites with info, too.

Are you able to get out for a bit of fresh air and especially *sunshine* in the mornings? I realize that may be difficult during winter, depending on where you live, but a little exercise (with the baby is fine) and bright morning light often help with general mood.

I like a pp question: what will you gain by weaning right now? Will it really solve anything? If you don't feel up to taking care of yourself now, will you feel more like it if you wean? Will weaning make taking care of your child any easier? Only you can answer these questions. Also, breastfeeding doesn't have to be all or nothing. It sounds like your child is happily eating many other things during the day. Many moms who are feeling overwhelmed focus on the nursings that are really bugging them, and work to eliminate those while keeping the ones that are most important to the child. Often just "lightening the load" is enough for mom. Think about how you can make "baby steps" changes to take care of yourself. What if you made a bunch of nutritious snacks a couple of times a week and stashed them in the fridge or wherever so that you could grab a snack easily? I think sometimes we get so busy taking care of baby and house and a million other things that we just put off eating, then we're too strung out to make anything really nutritious.
    Hang in there!