Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Where We're At

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    532

    Default Where We're At

    I'm pretty busy these days but I wanted to drop in and have some conversation about my babe (13 mo). Mostly because today is stressful and I need to let some of this out ...

    I guess you could say I am actively partial weaning. I give her milks (various kinds) and water throughout the day in place of nursing. Still, she nurses about 4-5 times during the day and a lot at night. I am losing weight, am down to 125. I was only this weight once before in my life. I do not feel healthy and I have a lot of anxiety. I have no appetite until halfway through the day, sometimes I force myself to eat and it just sucks. This has been an ongoing problem. I feel like I have compromised my health this last year which I do not regret because of the benefits she reaps. But I am a little depressed over my weight and the inevitable loss of teeth that will come with the calcium she took from my bones. I was very, very irresponsible with the vitamins. Probably only took them 4 months total during pregnancy and none after having her I know it is my neglect.

    I wanted to nurse for a lot longer, and I know she waay attached. I have more or less been with her all. the. time. her whole life. But I am partial weaning and so happy when she is full on FOOD and rice milk. Bad day, ladies Thanks for listening.
    Nursed for 18 months

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    18,063

    Default Re: Where We're At

    I'm sorry your fealing down right now!

    Do something for your self to pamper you!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,242

    Default Re: Where We're At

    I understand that you want to continue to nurse, but you have got to take care of yourself as well.


    I'm Laura, mamma of 2

    5-27-06

    8-30-08

    We love and

    We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,562

    Default Re: Where We're At

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I don't really understand. Either you want to nurse or you don't. Take a good hard look at what in the long run is most important to you. Weaning isn't a quick fix in the health department. You also know that nursing has provided you with many health benefits. Take charge and take you vitamins so you can nurse. I think you are maybe attributing things to nursing that are not even about nursing (ie lack of appetite).


    Also - about your teeth. I read somewhere (maybe even on here) about how the year AFTER you stop nursing is one of the biggest bone building/calcium building times for your body. What I recall is that you should shoot for a lot of calcium after you stop nursing so that your body can take advantage of it. I'll look and see what I can find out when I get a minute.

    Why do you think your teeth are being impacted?
    Tracie

    Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,177

    Default Re: Where We're At

    Why do you feel nursing is causing your health problems? What are you doing about your anxiety?

    I think a lot of these things can be attributed to being a mother. Stress, sleep deprivation, forgetting to take care of yourself. Regardless whether your breastfeeding or not. Anxiety & lack of an appetite might be something you want to get checked out. And theres nothing stopping you from taking your vitamins now right?

    If you decide to wean that is your decision, I was just wondering why your so sure these things are related to breastfeeding?

    And for your bad day.

    Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Where We're At

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I don't really understand. Either you want to nurse or you don't. Take a good hard look at what in the long run is most important to you. Weaning isn't a quick fix in the health department. You also know that nursing has provided you with many health benefits. Take charge and take you vitamins so you can nurse. I think you are maybe attributing things to nursing that are not even about nursing (ie lack of appetite).
    It is a mixture of wanting/not wanting to continue nursing!
    It's true that I should be strict about the vitamins. It is not even a big deal, but something I am lazy on. Maybe that is something I can do today to feel a little better- go buy some vitamins..!

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post


    Also - about your teeth. I read somewhere (maybe even on here) about how the year AFTER you stop nursing is one of the biggest bone building/calcium building times for your body. What I recall is that you should shoot for a lot of calcium after you stop nursing so that your body can take advantage of it. I'll look and see what I can find out when I get a minute.

    Why do you think your teeth are being impacted?
    That is really good news! I hope it is true. I have weak teeth already for genetic reasons and so have dental issues- not severe but I am definitely looking at some pricey dentist visits.
    I have heard some antecdotal stories about tooth loss and pregnancy & breastfeeding. And that I have the predispositions makes me feel discouraged about potential life of my teeth.

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jjgj.28 View Post
    Why do you feel nursing is causing your health problems? What are you doing about your anxiety?

    If you decide to wean that is your decision, I was just wondering why your so sure these things are related to breastfeeding?

    And for your bad day.
    Thanks

    Nursing is "helping" lose weight still 13 months after having her, so I see that as a problem. I would most likely be at a stable weight (at least) if not for BM. True that weaning is not a quick fix to my health problems but I feel that all the calories I can keep on me, helps (me). Also, I don't want to wean completely. It is not practical to do that. Just really, really, partial weaning.

    I am not doing too much for the anxiety, it gets worse and then better from time to time.
    Nursed for 18 months

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,562

    Default Re: Where We're At

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post
    Nursing is "helping" lose weight still 13 months after having her, so I see that as a problem. I would most likely be at a stable weight (at least) if not for BM. True that weaning is not a quick fix to my health problems but I feel that all the calories I can keep on me, helps (me). Also, I don't want to wean completely. It is not practical to do that. Just really, really, partial weaning.
    You also said you were having a hard time eating. Personally, I love to eat, so I haven't ever had this problem. I think you need to force yourself to eat more.

    Have you thought about making some smoothies and drinking those in the morning? You could get a lot of nutrients that way.
    Tracie

    Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Where We're At

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Personally, I love to eat, so I haven't ever had this problem.


    I feel you. I can't really believe it is me who cannot eat well!!! Seriously.

    Smoothies is a really great idea. I actually have a lot of things for them in the kitchen, but haven't actually done anything with that yet. Maybe I'll do it for us later today. yep.
    Nursed for 18 months

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,562

    Default Re: Where We're At

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hiranmayii View Post


    I feel you. I can't really believe it is me who cannot eat well!!! Seriously.
    My best friend is having a very hard time keeping weight on too while breastfeeding but she forgets to eat all the time. Forgets! I eat every two to three hours and am still losing weight from breastfeeding. Granted, I have weight to lose. I wish she would try smoothies.

    Let me know if your baby likes smoothies. I am thinking about making some for Lilah, but not sure if she will drink them.
    Tracie

    Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,562

    Default Re: Where We're At

    2. Smoothie recipe: This makes enough for at least 3 big sippy (straw) cups
    a.
    1 c V8 fusion peach mango juice
    3 tbs wheat germ
    1 1/2 tbs flax oil
    1 c vanilla whole milk yogurt
    1 banana
    1 avocado
    1 c frozen peaches
    1 c frozen broccoli

    if needed, add water to liquefy.
    I refrigerate any leftovers for one day max.

    This is a recipe my friend gives to her kids. They finally started gaining weight with that flax oil. You could put more in there to get more calories in a smaller portion.
    Tracie

    Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •