Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rice cereal

Default Re: rice cereal

Quote Originally Posted by veggiegirl228
    I must have misunderstood what she said, I am glad that I asked.. Any rice cereal recommended?? I am not sure if I am going to start giving it to her but to have such info ahead of time doesn't hurt.. even though hubby disagrees I let her nurse even if it is only for comfort...
    Every baby is different of course, but in my experience rice cereal is not the best bet for a first baby food. It is just a filler with "added" nutrients. I attempted to try it and after one week my DS was constipated from it. My LC suggested bananas as a first food. I just gave him a tablespoon or two at first, Aiden loved it...4 days off of the rice cereal he was back to normal =)
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie
    It is VERY common for four month olds to be wakeful (breast or formula fed). This is one of my favorite links on the topic of wakeful four month olds:
    http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html
    What a great article. Thank you for sharing this. My neighbor's daughter is four months old (as well as my ds) and they already did the CIO at night, and now brag that their dd "sleeps through the night." Now my neighbor's milk supply is diminishing and she wonders why. They have started supplementing with formula during the day. I should share this article with her. kellymom is a great site.

Quote Originally Posted by mommylaura
    My neighbor's daughter is four months old (as well as my ds) and they already did the CIO at night, and now brag that their dd "sleeps through the night." Now my neighbor's milk supply is diminishing and she wonders why. They have started supplementing with formula during the day.

Just to let you know, it is possible to have your 4 month old sleep through the night with no CIO and still have a great milk supply. DS has been sleeping (9 nights out of 10) from 7pm to 7am. He sleeps three 1.5hour naps during the day and I have enough milk to feed a small army of children, no formula supplementing either. There is more than one way of doing things.

Just keep that in mind! Co-sleeping and night nursing is one way to go, crib sleeping through the night is another...DS has never been left to CIO. It is possible to successfully breastfeed a baby and have them sleep all night long.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I am aware that your baby can sleep through the night and you can still successfully breastfeed.

My point was that if your baby is waking up frequently at night to nurse, and you are questioning your milk supply based on the baby's weight, why push the baby to sleep through the night? That is what was happening with my neighbor. Once the baby was "forced" to sleep through the night, she was not gaining enough weight, and her mom seemed to think that frequent night-waking was an inconvenience rather than a sign of a possible nutritional deficit. She does not seem aware that the baby may still need to eat at night to meet her nutritional needs. I think the article would help many moms of babies this age who may feel that frequent night-waking is abnormal.

That's great that you are able to successfully breastfeed a small baby AND have the baby sleep through the night!

Quote Originally Posted by veggiegirl228
    .. even though hubby disagrees I let her nurse even if it is only for comfort...

All of your suggestions/tips have been wonderful.. Thanks Guys!!
    Veggiegirl,
    If it is in fact teeth, then "comfort nursing" is very important as it actaully relieves pain. You releace oxcytocin whe you BF and it helps them with the pain. Knowing that and knowing it was teeth helped not become resentful when the sleep patterns started to get shorter and shorter. So let you husband know, the nursing is actually helping her with pain and then maybe he thinks it's a good idea. Meet you in the sleep forum when it gets worse!

Quote Originally Posted by mommylaura
    Once the baby was "forced" to sleep through the night, she was not gaining enough weight, and her mom seemed to think that frequent night-waking was an inconvenience rather than a sign of a possible nutritional deficit. She does not seem aware that the baby may still need to eat at night to meet her nutritional needs.

That is really sad. I love it that my sweet one sleeps so much, but I also LOVE getting up to nurse him. Most days for us are busy (I keep a 6 wk old girl on Mon/Fri, and 2yo triplets Tues/Wed) and even nursing is spent admittedly saying...Ethan, stop spitting at Caleb, Callie, stop pulling Ethan's hair...Caleb..... Being able just to sit in the rocking chair at 4am with the blinds pulled back and see that big bright moon while my sweet son is at the breast....well, it doesn't get much better than that. Its dark, quiet, and its just me and him....our time together.

Waking during the night can be tiring, no doubt...but if my Shiloh needs me...I wouldn't deny him or try to train him not be hungry. Its great that he does sleep, but I don't even go 12 hours without eating, how can I "force" him to do the same?

This is why I'm posting at this hour! He needed me tonight. For food, yes...but I'm thinking it was more for just comfort. His second tooth came in recently and its still pushing through a little. He nursed but then just layed his head on my shoulder, wide awake, while I rocked him.

How wonderful...its such a short time in the grand scheme of things...anyways...I'm sooooooooo tired and just rambling.

Shiloh is still dry in his first cloth diaper ever! He fell back asleep as I rocked him before I could change him...didn't seem to bother him...he's wedged himself back up into his favorite corner of his crib. I'm heading off to snuggle in with DH.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom
    Shiloh is still dry in his first cloth diaper ever! He fell back asleep as I rocked him before I could change him...didn't seem to bother him...
    Thanks for letting me ramble.
    What happened? Did I miss a thread?!?!? What's going on??? Can you please elaborate on how SHiloh got into "his 1st cloth diaper ever?"

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    What happened? Did I miss a thread?!?!? What's going on??? Can you please elaborate on how SHiloh got into "his 1st cloth diaper ever?"

Lets just say that I had a little constructive "motivation" from the other mommies on this forum. He did well.

Woke up at 4am because he rolled over, I finished writing that last post and he woke up again, I changed him, fed him, and he slept next to us the rest of the night. He's bathed, (no more diaper rash), and is sitting with his daddy on the couch while is mommy is supposed to be in the shower getting ready for church.

He's really cranky right now because that second tooth isn't all the way through yet. His gums are really swollen and it will be another day or two of this.

As DH was changing him and putting on another cloth diaper, he commented..."honey, his diaper rash is gone and I didn't put any cream on him last night before bed...i think these cloth diapers are better for his skin that those store diapers!"

We love it so far. Its all so new to us still...we'll see how it goes.

Leslie

**Leslie**

Mama to:

Lets just say that I had a little constructive "motivation" from the other mommies on this forum. He did well.

As DH was changing him and putting on another cloth diaper, he commented..."honey, his diaper rash is gone and I didn't put any cream on him last night before bed...i think these cloth diapers are better for his skin that those store diapers!"

We love it so far. Its all so new to us still...we'll see how it goes.

Leslie
    Please let us know how the whole laundry thing goes!!! If you can make it work in Texas w/o out your own washer in dryer.....well I'm inclined to believe you can make it work anywhere!!! Yay you!!!

That is really sad. I love it that my sweet one sleeps so much, but I also LOVE getting up to nurse him. ...How wonderful...its such a short time in the grand scheme of things...anyways...I'm sooooooooo tired and just rambling. Thanks for letting me ramble.
    I love getting up to nurse too. You are so right...it is such a short time in the grand scheme of things. I, too, cherish those quiet nursing sessions that only me and my baby share while everyone else is asleep. But...once in a while I do wonder what it's like to have totally uninterrupted sleep!! Then I look down to see this awesome miracle and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Anyway, now I'm rambling! Let me know how the cloth diapers work for you, as dh and I have been wondering about them lately.