Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rice cereal

Question rice cereal

my lo is cranky at nght.. been giving bf in boottle to ensure that she's getting enough...she is starting to teeeth (o teeth yet) as the sgns are there. when spoke w/ lc she suggested adding little cereal to it, she is 4 mo today...should I?
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Default Re: rice cereal

It is your choice if you want to start cereal this early but DO NOT add it to the bottle! It is dangerous - your LO could choke.

Personally, I don't think cereal will help your LO be less fussy. 4mos is a typical growth spurt time. And it's also a time when the outside world becomes more interesting to them and they are working on some important developmental milestones (that can be frustrating for them).

I know you say that your LO is showing teething symptoms but don't be disappointed if you don't see a pearly white for several more months. We were convinced DS was going to cut a tooth early at 12wks but we have yet to see one (almost 6 mos now).

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Quote Originally Posted by luke's mom
    It is your choice if you want to start cereal this early but DO NOT add it to the bottle! It is dangerous - your LO could choke.

Personally, I don't think cereal will help your LO be less fussy. 4mos is a typical growth spurt time. And it's also a time when the outside world becomes more interesting to them and they are working on some important developmental milestones (that can be frustrating for them).

I know you say that your LO is showing teething symptoms but don't be disappointed if you don't see a pearly white for several more months. We were convinced DS was going to cut a tooth early at 12wks but we have yet to see one (almost 6 mos now).
    Boy, Madeline started the teething symptoms at 3 months of age, she popped out her 1st tooth at 10 months. I agree about not adding it to the bottle, it is dangerous and the only time that is recommended is when there is a medical problem, like aspiration and their feedings have to be thickened. Rice also might cause more fussiness, it is not east to digest like breastmilk and will sit on babies tummy for a lot loger time. I know AAP doesen't recommend starting solids until 6 months of age, but it is your choice.

I agree with Luke's Mom, starting cereal is your choice, but adding it to the bottle isn't the best. Not only does it pose a choking hazard, but baby can become accustomed to getting the cereal too easily and then won't want to take things off of a spoon later.

The teething thing is hard. DS finally got another tooth yesterday (he has 2 bottom ones) after many weeks of the fussies. Try giving some tylenol if its really bad...that always helps shiloh.

The stimulation from the outside world can also be really stressful. We try to unwind and keep our house very peacefull at night. Leave the lights and tv off, talk in low tones, give him a warm bath with lavender oil, and that seems to keep him settled. Also, how long is DD awake from the time of her last nap until the time you put her to bed? We do not let Shiloh stay up longer than 2 hours. If we do, we've found that he actually gets crankier and is much harder to put down. Consider moving her bed time back 20 or 30 minutes and see if that helps.

HTH,
    Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke's mom

I second what Luke's Mom said. Adding cereal to a bottle is a dangerous practice. Take a look here for more info:

Don't Put Cereal in a Bottle

Baby Bottles and Cereal

And we also experienced the same thing with Adeline's "teething." We were positive that she was teething at around 12 weeks old ... all the supposed "symptoms" were there. But the first chomper didn't show up till she was 6 months old. What we wre experiencing was most likely a combination of growth spurts and normal baby fussiness.

Also, the evening fussiness is a normal (but, yes, frustrating) thing at that age (or I'm finding out most ages, really! ). Here's some more information with tips how to help comfort your baby during this time:

Cluster Feeding and Fussy Evenings

I believe that nursing your baby is one of the best things you can do during those rough times.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; September 21st, 2006 at 08:15 AM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Thanks for those articles Annie. I'll have to show them to my mother the next time she tells me to give him some cereal, either in a bottle or otherwise. She's so excited that he's growing up, and I know she means well...but we just aren't ready to start him on solids yet. He's perfectly healthy and happy and loves momma's milk...be it from me, bottle, spoon, straw...he'll just loves it!

Thanks again for the links.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

This is what the lc said, to add it with the bf (so it will thin it out), so it isn't a good option in the bottle even though it would be thinned out by bf?
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

Quote Originally Posted by veggiegirl228
    This is what the lc said, to add it with the bf (so it will thin it out), so it isn't a good option in the bottle even though it would be thinned out by bf?
    No. Is this an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant)?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I must have misunderstood what she said, I am glad that I asked.. Any rice cereal recommended?? I am not sure if I am going to start giving it to her but to have such info ahead of time doesn't hurt.. even though hubby disagrees I let her nurse even if it is only for comfort...

All of your suggestions/tips have been wonderful.. Thanks Guys!!
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

It is VERY common for four month olds to be wakeful (breast or formula fed). This is one of my favorite links on the topic of wakeful four month olds:
    http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html