Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt (flavored)

Question Yogurt (flavored)

I bought some yogurt for DS (8 months old) to try. However the only whole fat yogurt I could find was flavored. It's organic and from Stoneyfield so I know it's quality but can an 8 month old have flavored yogurt? I was told it had to be plain and of course not the lowfat or non-fat kind. The flavors I got are banana and vanilla. He's had pieces of banana already.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: Yogurt (flavored)

My issue with the flavoured yoghurt a the sugar content. They just don't need it, yk? But FWIW all my friends with babies my DD's age were feeding their kiddos the Yo Baby stuff so . As long as you're not introducing anything highly allergenic, I think it's a personal judgement call.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sillyme79 View Post
    I bought some yogurt for DS (8 months old) to try. However the only whole fat yogurt I could find was flavored. It's organic and from Stoneyfield so I know it's quality but can an 8 month old have flavored yogurt? I was told it had to be plain and of course not the lowfat or non-fat kind. The flavors I got are banana and vanilla. He's had pieces of banana already.
    I give my LO the lowfat or fat free plain yogurt b/c I can't find whole fat. I'm not using it as a breastmilk substitute though - I think that may make the difference in why I'm not worried about it. I don't really like the sugar content in the flavored either.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

making your own yogurt isn't that hard of a project.

some of the sugar comes naturaly from the milk and fruit they put in.

IF he has had bannana already it should be fine.
    but just watch like your intoducing a new food for reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    making your own yogurt isn't that hard of a project.

some of the sugar comes naturaly from the milk and fruit they put in.

IF he has had bannana already it should be fine.
    but just watch like your intoducing a new food for reactions.

You could try and make yogurt from your own Breastmilk. It is fairly easy, from what I've heard. Try this link.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so....html#momfoods
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

I personally have not given YoBaby or any sugar-sweetened yogurt to my babies (until they were older anyway). Yes, some of the "sugars" in it are natural but it's as simple as reading the ingredients list to see if additional sugar has been added.
    It could be the limited selection where you shop. Have you tried looking at other stores?
    There are certainly plain yogurts made with whole milk. In fact, I think Stonyfield actually makes one, but I've only seen it in the 32 oz. containers. And your store may not carry it.
    Another brand I've seen is Mountain High and I think Dannon.

We used to mix fruit purees in with the yogurt to sweeten them naturally.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

We happened to also buy some plain yogurt. It's the lowfat kind but like a pp said, I'm not using it to replace BM so I think it would be ok. Although there's only a difference of 1 gram in the sugar content (yobaby has 13 grams and the plain has 12 ) I think maybe I'll just eat the yobaby stuff myself so it doesn't go to waste.
    Thanks for your input, ladies.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I give Lilah the yobaby yogurt and she loves it. And if it only has one more gram of sugar than plain, why not? I would prefer her to eat yogurt than drink cow's milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Is a serving of plain yogurt 8oz and a serving of yobaby 4? That would make it about 2x the amount of sugar in the yobaby.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby