Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping/return of oversupply

Default Pumping/return of oversupply

Okay girls--I hae a problem I need help with.

I had severe oversupply and subsequent mastitis when Ada Grace was 3 weeks old. I started block feeding using 3 hour blocks, and the oversupply had subsided. Here's the problem and I'm wondering how to handle this one.

I returned to work 1 week ago. I have been pumping 3x/day at work to have enough milk for her to have the next day at the sitter's house. Last weekend, I pumped on Saturday morning and after returning from a test 6 hours later because I couldn't pump while I was gone and I was miserably overfull, even after nursing her. I didn't pump the rest of the day Saturday or at all on Sunday. Then, I woke up Monday morning feeling like I had mastitis again due to being so overfull. I'm afraid that my pumping at work on both sides is reversing everything that the block feeding accomplished. So the dilemma is, how do I pump enough at work to have milk for Ada Grace the following day w/o sending the message to my body that I need that much milk every day? Is that possible? Am I going to have to pump on the weekends during the day after I nurse her to avoid recurrent bouts of mastitis? I don't want to spend my whole weekend pumping and washing pump parts, but I will if I have to.

Thank in advance for any help you can offer!!
    Krista
    Wife to Barney
    Mommy to Justin Reed
    Mommy to Ada Grace (7-7-06) 7 lbs 14 oz, 20 lbs 14 oz at 1 year

Our little Angel, Henry James, grew his wings December 14, 2007

Default Re: Pumping/return of oversupply

Hi Justin's Mama,

For some reason, pumping can often magnify oversupply troubles. I don't have any btdt advice for you, but I wanted to give this post a "bump" since your question hadn't been answered yet.

The only thing I can think of that might help would be to use the pump just to get a let down, then hand-express the rest. Hand expression tends to cause less trouble for oversupplied mamas than pumping. I don't know if you have time for that at work, though. On the other hand, you could try hand expressing before or after nursing sessions on the weekends to prevent engorgement.

I will be interested to see what other mamas in similar situations have done.

Take Care,

Tiana