Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help Ugently - Only One side works

Default Need Help Ugently - Only One side works

I am very discouraged. My son is 4 1/2 months old. He was born 3 weeks and 1 day early. He had low blood sugar so he was supplemented one feed with formula. He was tounge tied, and I have extremely large breasts. I also had a cracked nipple and had to stop feeding on my right breast for a week while it healed. Insert the problem - he then wouldn't feed on the right breast and up until today I have been exclusively feeding him on my left breast. I am working part-time and pumping but barely able to make enough on the one side to keep him satisfied.

Today I had a doctor's appointment and she said he is on the edge of the acceptable minimum amount for weight gain. He was born at 7lbs. 1oz. and he weighed 13lbs. 10.5oz. today. I have three weeks until she wants to weight him again and if he is still slowing his weight gain she is going to recommend I supplement him with formula.

How do I get my right boob to make milk? It is like it has lost the ability. I have started fenugreek and blessed thistle and I have a hospital grade pump.

Has anyone else had only one breast producing milk? Can you get the other one to start making milk again????

Default Re: Need Help Ugently - Only One side works

I responded to your other thread, but I also wanted to come back to say that it doesn't seem to me that your son has really dropped all that far in the percentiles. From about 25th to about 10th? If he seems happy and alert and is having good wet diapers, I think I *personally* might be inclined to wait and see what happens.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I don't understand how the Dr. could say he isn't gaining weight, properly.

My DD was 8lbs 15 oz, when she was born. At her last Dr. appt (2 weeks ago), she weighed 13.5. I mean, she was a chunk when she was born, and yet your son who's birth weight was less than my daughter's "isn't gaining right?"

How odd.

BTW, if you suppliment with formula, you will only produce that much less milk! To increase your supply, pump and feed often! On both sides. Maybe try a SNS? That way you get the nipple stimulation your body needs to signal your breasts to make more milk!

The more empty your breasts are, the faster they will produce milk.

Here is a link that may help you understand the process your body goes through to produce milk, maybe this will help, some? How Milk Production Works

It sounds like you are doing okay to me, but sometimes, it's better to get a second opinion from another pediatrician. If the pediatricians know you want to EBF, you shouldn't be told to suppliment!!! Keep up the good work, momma!!
    Last edited by @llli*wombatred26; December 3rd, 2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Encouragment
    Hi, I'm Cyndie. Married my , Tony.

Lydia--15 mo and still nursing

Brenden--6.5 yo bf for 6 months

Preston (SS)--13.5 yo

Brittany--12.5 yo bf for 6 weeks

"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort.... but you are not a pacifier!" -- Paula Yount

Just wanted to say you are not alone. My son is 8 months old and basically still only nursing while eating solids very rarely. My right breast is almost dried up because I slowly over time "favored" the left. It is obvious outside of clothing how much larger the right is than the left. Ugh...
    I am just pumping and letting him only nurse on that side during the night time when he is sleeping or after he falls asleep for a nap I'll put him over to that side. He gets mad b/c nothing (or very little) comes out when he is awake so I can only do it while he is sleeping.
    Good luck to you!!
    and and

Emily, wife to Andrew, first time momma to Benjamin~ born 4-20-09