Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: possible forceful letdown, what should I do?

Default possible forceful letdown, what should I do?

Hello all!
    I want to say that I'm no longer having a problem with TJ being fussy after his 9pm(or around) feeding. But I do have a new problem.

Anytime I feed him in the morning (after we wake up) or any time he's been asleep for 3+ hours, I'm guessing I have a forceful letdown. He'll latch on great and then a few minutes later, he'll I guess gulp a few times, and then pull off and milk comes spraying out. I put a burp cloth over my nipple until its no longer spraying and I'll put him back on. Am I doing the right thing?

In the first 3 weeks of breastfeeding him, he would do that, but then when he was 3 1/2-4 weeks it seemed to have stopped, and now its returned (He's 4 weeks 4 days and it just started up again yesterday).

When he does gulp and I put him back on, he'll nurse for a while before pulling off. I then burp him, and he'll usually spit up and then I'll offer the boob again to him and 99% of the time, he takes it back.

Is there anything I can do to help him cope with my let down? Could he just be so glad that he's feeding again that he forgets to take it easy?

I dont know if this has anything to do with how he's nursing, but he's been up a lot more during the day. Usually 2 1/2 -3 hours before taking a short 1 hour nap.

Default Re: possible forceful letdown, what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tjmom09 View Post
    Anytime I feed him in the morning (after we wake up) or any time he's been asleep for 3+ hours, I'm guessing I have a forceful letdown. He'll latch on great and then a few minutes later, he'll I guess gulp a few times, and then pull off and milk comes spraying out. I put a burp cloth over my nipple until its no longer spraying and I'll put him back on. Am I doing the right thing?
    Sounds like the right thing to me! It's is what my lactation consultant and pediatrician have told me to do. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. lol. But I'll take what I can get. Sometimes I'll even hand express some into the burp cloth after the spraying has stopped just to slow down the milk a little further. I've also been told that cold compresses between feedings can help slow it down. It gets frustrating, but it should get better as our LO's get older.

Default Re: possible forceful letdown, what should I do?

cool!
    glad to know that I've been doing the right thing.
    I'll try the cold compresses between feedings.