Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 month old spitting up all of a sudden

Unhappy 1 month old spitting up all of a sudden

Hi ladies,
    I have a 1 month old that has been doing awesome with BFing up until today. This morning he ate like normal, I put a onesie on him and laid him on my sofa while I was getting the overalls ready to put on him and he spit up all over my sofa, it seemed like aLOT of spit up, enough to where we have to get a machine to clean my sofa now. Then tonight I feed him and his dad was holding him, gently rocking him, and he did it again, seemed like the same amount as this morning. The only thing that was different with these 2 feeding are that I TRIED feeding him and he keep unlatching and crying, we did this for about 10 minutes and he was not happy so I put him down and feed him again 30 minutes later, and he ate like usual then. I burp him between breast and after, sometimes he doesn't burp but these times he did. I also give him Mylicon drops for gas after the feedings. I'm wondering what could be going on and what I can do to prevent this from happening.

I'm making an appointment for his 1 month visit on Monday and will ask his pediatrician also.

Thanks

Default Re: 1 month old spitting up all of a sudden

I also wanted to add that I feed him and then pump during the day to get a milk supply built up for when I go back to work. I've read about heavy let downs and I think I have a heavier let down, sometimes it seems like he's choking on my milk and I see milk dripping out of his mouth also. Could I be causing this heavy let down by pumping? and Could that be causing him to spit up that much?

It could be overactive letdown or developing reflux. I have OAL, and my DS has severe reflux. His reflux started worsening between 3-5 weeks so you might be dealing with reflux development. As for OAL, I did/do block feeding which seems to help my DS.

Good luck. It sounds like you're doing the right things, especially with taking him in for a checkup. Hope the pedi can give you some answers/relief.
    Mommy to Odin
    Earth Day Baby 2009
    I'm a Baby-Wearing, Co-Sleeping, No-Cry Mommy

OALD can definitely cause spit up. If you can, catch the letdown in a towel of a container if you're saving ebm. Also, I w/pp about developing reflux. Have you been eating/drinking anything new? caffeine (coffee, sodas, tea)? chocolate? foods/drinks w/soy ingredients?

Those things would cause my dd to spit up because they would upset her reflux and give her gas. I could tell because she'd grunt, that may be why the gripe water and Mylicon drops aren't working

Don't worry mama, it'll pass.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

he could just be sick ...
    Does he cry alot of fuss when nursing?