Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sudden need to wean

Default sudden need to wean

My son will be seven months old next week and has been exclusivly breastfed. I have recently gotten sick and must now take antibiotics that will harm my son if he continues to nurse. I have to take them for seven days. I will continue to pump (and dump the milk) to keep up my supply, but my son will not take a bottle. we have tried other times before but when he refused we didn't push it because it didn't really matter. Now he has to go from nursing all the time to not nursing at all for a week. please help me get him to take a bottle which he will not suck on at all. i have had my huband try as well. I'm afraid he's not getting enough nutrition as he won't eat any baby food either. my son has never taken a pacifier and won't suck on anything but my breast. i am also afraid since he cannot nurse at all that in a week he may forget and won't start again. is that possible? please help!

Default Re: sudden need to wean

Who told you you can't nurse on the abx? What abx is it? There are very few meds that are completely incompatible with breastfeeding.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    Who told you you can't nurse on the abx? What abx is it? There are very few meds that are completely incompatible with breastfeeding.

I'm sorry to hear your'e ill. We would love to help you find good information - let us know the medication. Have you called your LLL leader? Your childs doctor?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thank you for the fast relpy! the medicine is doxycycline hyclate 100 mg capsules that i have to take one every twelve hours for a week. i have not talked to my peditrician but the dr who perscribed it to me as well as the pharmicist said not to nurse him while taking this.

This is the info from Lact Med.

Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation:
    A number of reviews have stated that tetracyclines are contraindicated during breastfeeding because of possible staining of infants' dental enamel or bone deposition of tetracyclines. However, a close examination of available literature indicates that there is not likely to be harm in short-term use of doxycycline during lactation because milk levels are low and absorption by the infant is inhibited by the calcium in breastmilk. Short-term use of doxycycline is acceptable in nursing mothers. As a theoretical precaution, avoid prolonged or repeat courses during nursing. Monitor the infant for rash and for possible effects on the gastrointestinal flora, such as diarrhea or candidiasis (thrush, diaper rash).

Drug Levels:
    Maternal Levels. Fifteen mothers nursing infants between 15 and 30 days old were given doxycycline 200 mg orally followed in 12 hours by another dose of 100 mg. Milk doxycycline levels were measured using a biologic assay 3 and 24 hours after the second dose. Milk doxycycline levels averaged 0.77 mg/L (range 0.4 to 1.4 mg/L) 3 hours after the dose and 0.38 mg/L (range 0.12 to 0.85 mg/L) 24 hours after the dose.[1]

A dose of 100 mg daily of doxycycline was given orally to 10 mothers. On the second day of treatment, milk doxycycline averaged 0.82 mg/L (range 0.37 to 1.24 mg/L) 3 hours after the dose, and 0.46 mg/L (range 0.3 to 0.91 mg/L) 24 hours after the dose.[2] Using the average of the peak and trough milk levels in this study, the estimated average intake of an exclusively breastfed infant would be about 6% of the maternal weight-adjusted dosage.

After a single oral dose of 100 mg in 3 women and 200 mg in 3 women, peak milk levels occurred between 2 and 4 hours after the dose. Average peak milk concentrations were 0.96 mg/L after 100 mg and 1.8 mg/L after 200 mg. Milk levels accumulated to about 3.6 mg/L with doses of 100 mg twice daily for 5 days.[3]

Another study found peak milk levels to occur 5 to 7 hours after oral doses of 100 or 200 mg in 13 women in the immediate postpartum period. Peak levels were 0.6 mg/L with the 100 mg dose in 3 women, and averaged 1.1 mg/L in 11 women who received 200 mg.[4]

After single 200 mg dose of doxycycline to 2 women, average milk levels were 0.8 mg/L 2 hours after the dose, 0.7 mg/L 4 hours after the dose, and 0.4 mg/L 6 hours after the dose.[5]

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I think I read on Dr. Thomas Hale's site that it's ok to use for two weeks.

It does seem from that info that it would be safe to take for short term. Is ther another option YOUR doctor can look into?? Is there a specific reason s/he chose this or was it just the first thing s/he thought to prescribe? Sometimes there is another comparable option.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

to the PPs. Sounds like there's no need to wean unless you need to be on doxy longterm. If you're still concerned, I would talk to your doc and ask if there is an alternative antibiotic you could use, one guaranteed safe for nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

FWIW, medications and lactation is a very specialized area of study, one that doctors and pharmacists generally know nothing about unfortunately. Doctors will 9 times out of 10 tell you to stop BF or to wean, when there is no need to.

If you have an amazon account, you can check Dr Hale's book online for meds in the future, should you need them. (you can look inside the book).

Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!

And
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

thank you. i would like to try to nurse less than normal for this week then...to be on the safe side. do you have any tips for getting him to bottle feed? i'm glad to not have to compleatly wean though..i was pretty upset