Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scared about giving LO finger food...

Red face Scared about giving LO finger food...

My daughter is 9 and half months old and I've had her on solids for a few months, but I want to start her on finger foods. What's a really good first finger food? I'm a little scared about choking...

Default Re: Scared about giving LO finger food...

If you're scared about choking - take a CPR course. It is totally worth the effort, you DO have enough time AND it will save you a LOT of worry and grief and potentially save someone's life too

having said that - this link has lots of great starter foods.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi,

My LO is 10 months, the best success I have had so far is with shredded chicken. I just shred it and then cut the shreded strips in half so its like a length of a macaroni but thinner.

I start out by putting a little bit of it on my finger and he'll let me put it in his mouth. And then I put some on the tray for him and he picks at it. He is still struggling with the pincher grasp and coordination so there isn't much making it into his mouth, but a little bit is.

I also took some stuffing this weekend and pinched off pieces with my finger and put that on his tray too.

And then noodles, same thing, I've been going with about half the size of a macaroni.

Also he loves to hold on to a pickle and suck on it. You know the pickle spears that come in the Kosher pickle jars.

I also gave him a Ritz cracker once or twice but with that I watch really, really close. Sometimes he gums it and then it is so soft that what makes it in his mouth is no biggie. But it still makes me nervous because he sometimes does bite off a bigger piece so I just try to catch it before it makes it into his mouth.

That's about as far as I have gotten with fingerfoods so far. We are still making breastmilk the number one food at our house so all this stuff is still just for experimentation right now.

I am going to take a CPR class too. They offer some that are like 90% online and then 10% in the classroom which makes it easier. I went out to the Red Cross website to find them.

Hope this helps a little.

Ildi

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    If you're scared about choking - take a CPR course. It is totally worth the effort, you DO have enough time AND it will save you a LOT of worry and grief and potentially save someone's life too

having said that - this link has lots of great starter foods.
    Totally agree.

I would also add that babies gag reflex is way further forward in their mouths than ours. We have to stick our fingers down our throats whereas for a baby it is in the middle of the tongue - nowhere near the airways.

As long as you are sensible, babies are surprisingly good at managing food in their mouths, given practise. My lo has only ever self-fed from 6months old as we chose to do BLS. She has always eaten finger foods and no purees. I did a CPR course as part of my post natal classes, but it didn't stop me panicking at first. But very soon, I learnt to sit back and trust my lo's skills safe in the knowledge that if something did go wrong I could act upon the situation safely. Fortunately we have had no such scares.

In our case we had a bit of gagging (totally different from choking) and a bit of coughing in the early days but now at 9 months she manages most shapes and sizes of foods really well. Her pincer grip is really good and she can pick up peas, bits of scrambled egg , chickpeas and more because she has had time to practise her skills with many different foods. We have been in no rush. Mealtimes are slow but very enjoyable as she sits and eats the same meals as us, with us, up the table. Me and dh get to talk about our day etc and Daisy joins in with her babbles!

Babies need to be sitting upright when eating finger foods. It is better that they are in control of what goes into their mouths and in our case, sitting back and letting her lead the way has allowed her to enjoy and explore food with enthusiasm.

Good luck and enjoy!

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09