Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can my milk supply be saved? Pumping less than 1 oz :(

Default Can my milk supply be saved? Pumping less than 1 oz :(

I was advised by my OB nurse to quit breastfeeding if it was too hard. At the time I was extremely depressed and exhausted, especially since we just moved to this area and have no family or friends to help out with all those household chores, and my husband is working 7 days a week. I thought maybe she was right. I wasn't enjoying my baby.

But then it seemed it was the antidepressant they had me on for PPD, which made me care about nothing at all - completely UNemotional. After I realized this and started weaning myself from the drug, I realized I did NOT want to stop breastfeeding! Unfortunately, I'd already bound myself for 2 days and was extremely engorged and in physical and extreme emotional pain. I unbound myself and it's been about a week since I started that whole mess, but I can only get very little milk out with pumping. If I use the supplementer while nursing the baby sucks down about 2 oz of formula.

This is so frustrating and disappointing! :'-( Thanks to anyone out there with advice.

--Alexx

Default Re: Can my milk supply be saved? Pumping less than 1 oz :(

hey i know how frusterating it can be. i have been relactating (well trying to anyways) for a few months now... maybe even three and my son is only three months and two weeks old!!! so i really know what you mean. well i just bought the sns (is that what you are using?) i have heard that if you keep on it then the baby's sucking will stimulate the breast and the suppliment will be less and less needed. as for pumping, i really dont get much either. i so often want to give up on it but i know that is not truely what i want but me be frusterated. a lot of people i have talked with have said they dont get much with pumping, but the baby nurses great and gets plenty. sorry i have no advice for you on what to do but as i have said i am struggling with the same problems. i wish you the best of luck and know you will do great. what a luck baby to have a wonderful mommy like you.

I am no expert by far, and I have had struggles with milk since the beginning. I would try three things that made a big difference for me:

1. Drink as much water as you can stand- simple but really made a big difference for me. I drink when I am NOT thirsty, I drink constantly
    2. Double pump, pump both sides at the same time
    3. Any time you supplement the baby with formula (if you do) then you must pump otherwise your body doesn't know the baby needed that milk.

Good luck, it is NOT EASY, I finally made it to 6 months after baby waking up 5 times a night, and now that he is down to just 3, I am AGAIN worried about how much milk I'm making

Hi Alexx,

I'm sorry you're struggling right now with your milk supply. I think it's great that you want to provide your baby with momma's milk.

I recommend that you concentrate on getting your baby to the breast. That will be the key to increasing your supply. Try to nurse 8-12 times a day (10+ should be your goal). How long had you been in the process of weaning? It may take as many days to get back to a full supply as you had been away from nursing.

The pump is not always a good indicator of how much milk your producing.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Jennifer

Thanks to all for the suggestions & support. I'm wondering if I should try domperidone? I've read in many places that it works. My milk supply is very gradually increasing with frequent pumping, but some times I just can't get anything out with the pump. And sometimes the baby sucks well at the breast, and other times not. I find that often with the SNS the baby just kind of uses it as a straw and she'll suck down 3 oz through that - and I just end up with pinched nipples.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. (And my OB nurse keeps saying "It's OK to quit - I formula fed all 3 of my babies" - Time for a new OB!)

--Alexx

Alexx - THat's a common issue with the SNS. Try taping the tube to the underside of the nipple instead of the top. That should help with her ability to suck only from the SNS.

Domperidone has worked for me so far... I am relactating and am up from 1/8 oz a day to 1 1/4 oz in 6 days on the Domperidone! Also, try taking fenugreek. I started that 2 days ago and I think it's helping too!

Good luck!