Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hindmilk Alone

Unhappy Hindmilk Alone

Hi everyone, help please...

I have been giving my daughter only hindmilk. Does this mean that she's not getting enough lactose?

I naturally produce about 50 ounces of milk everyday. My daughter is now 7 months old and she's still exclusively breastfed. She doesn't latch anymore though from the time she reached her 2nd month. Since I produce more milk than she needs, I normally just pump and store the 1st 3ounces of each breast every time I express milk, then I only give her very creamy hindmilk. Is this bad? I learned that more lactose is present in the foremilk? Does this mean that she's not getting enough lactose for brain development. Is too much fat in the hindmilk bad as well? I'm really worried.

Thanks,
    Mikaela

Default Re: Hindmilk Alone

Does she seem happy and content? How is her poo?

I don't see how it would be a problem.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I wouldn't say that what you're doing is bad, but I am not sure I'd do it any more. I don't know if a creamier-than-average diet is deficient in lactose or whether it's too fatty- but there's a reason that milk is the way it is, YK?

Say you leave the milk in the fridge to settle- about how much fat is sitting on the first 3 oz, and how much on the stuff you're feeding your baby? If you're still seeing a pretty normal ratio of cream to skim in the bottles you're giving your baby, then it's probably okay. But if the bottles you are giving her are half or more than half cream, I would try to shoot for a more balanced bottle, with maybe 1/3 cream and 2/3 skim, or even less. When I was pumping, I typically saw bottles that were about 1/4 cream and 3/4 skim.

Don't worry too much! As long as your baby is growing normally and meeting milestones, I'm willing to bet you're meeting her needs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mommal is so smart

As time goes on it seems like the milk gets fattier too - so you don't really get a huge amount of foremilk at the beginning.

Could you decrease the amount you are pumping to match her demand, or are you donating all that extra milk?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Could you decrease the amount you are pumping to match her demand
    That's a really good suggestion!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    mommal is so smart

As time goes on it seems like the milk gets fattier too - so you don't really get a huge amount of foremilk at the beginning.

Could you decrease the amount you are pumping to match her demand, or are you donating all that extra milk?
    Hi Tracie,

Yes, I've been donating the extra milk. I always drain my breasts because I fear that I might run out of milk supply before my baby could even reach 2. Hope it's safe to do it this way.