Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Rejection

Default Bottle Rejection

In preparation for my return to work, I began pumping about 4 weeks ago. My husband was giving our 10 weeks old DS a bottle every other day and he was doing great switching from breast to bottle. Overnight he stopped taking the bottle and screams bloody murder when we try. I have tried 3 different kind of bottles/nipples, I leave the room while my husband tries, nothing seems to make it better. Is there something else I could try? Returning to work in four weeks and have to leave the baby over night for the first time in two weeks. Starting to panic!

Default Re: Bottle Rejection

I had this problem too. Was the first bottle that your son refused from frozen or older milk? Have you checked to see if you have a lipase issue? I think there is a sticky at the top of the pumping forum for lipase.

I know how hard it is when they won't eat from the bottle and you have to go to work. Why do you have to leave your baby overnight in two weeks? Are you guys going on a trip or something? Who is going to be your caregiver?

My daughter refused bottles to the point of screaming when she saw them too. Then we tried a different bottle that didn't look the same as the other one - she wouldn't scream when she saw it but she would cry if we tried to get her to drink from it.

What worked with my daughter was to just remove the bottle if she cried about it and then try again later. For the first several days at the sitter she did not eat very much. She finally started drinking an amount I was comfortable with.

Unfortunately, I discovered I have a lipase issue when she was about 12 months old. I wish I had known sooner. Definitely check your milk to see if it starts to smell/taste bad after a few days of storage.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

He's had defrosted milk in the past and was fine with it but since the bottle strike it's only been milk that was pumped that day and refrigerated for a few hours.

We're going to my husband's Christmas party. My son is going to stay with my father and stepmother. She's an RN and worked in the mother/infant unit for years so I'm comfortable with leaving him in their care. Overnight will be hard for me, but it's easier with the location of the party and I need to get used to some separation since there has been NONE since he was born.

Since I originally posted we've just been trying to stick with it and try a bottle once a day. He's still not taking it like he used to but it's better than it was. We've found that if I leave the room for 15 min or so and then my husband tries, it goes a little better. Mom out of sight, out of mind I guess. So I have a little more comfort that he may not fight the bottle so much when others are watching him.

Hi!
    I am the proud mommy to twin girls (plus two 2.5 year olds -- whew!) They spent almost 2 weeks in the NICU and I wasn't allowed to try to bf so when I brought them home had some issues . . . anyway, one twin LOVED her bottle and was a battle to get on the breast while the other LOVED the breast and would scream, buck, thrash when we tried the bottle and then would upchuck everything (they were preemies so we were supposed to be enriching my milk, but I really wanted them on the breast!). This went on for weeks! What worked for getting her to take the bottle (so I could rest at night while hubby did some feedings) was to roll her on her side and tuck the bottle under my arm so it would feel more like bf'ing to her . . . she was in close to me and held the same so she was warm and cozy. Also we don't let her get too worked up -- we make shushing sounds in her ear, we remove the bottle and cuddle her when she's screaming, we alternate between breast and bottle during feedings (messy as I drip all over, but it helped!)
    Hope you find something to work for you,
    IWHLVR

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelsey8881 View Post
    Overnight will be hard for me, but it's easier with the location of the party and I need to get used to some separation since there has been NONE since he was born.
    I'm glad he's taking the bottle better! I have read that some babies need mom to be out of the house to take the bottle.

I guess I'm not sure why you NEED to get used to some separation. Before I went back to work I was only away from Lilah for up to two hours at most while she was with her father. That was more than enough for me.

I leave my baby four days a week. I hate it. Personally, for me, I can't imagine leaving my child overnight, but it sounds like you have a very good choice in overnight caregivers. Have a great time and bring your pump!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months