Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk/Hindmilk question

Default Foremilk/Hindmilk question

I have yet to give my son a bottle, but he sleeps so long at night that I started pumping an ounce or two off each breast when I wake up in the morning. That way I'm more comfortable until he gets up and I don't spray him in the face. I've also noticed it's hard for him to latch when I'm that engorged. Even though I haven't given him a bottle, I can see the benefit of storing and freezing milk for an emergency. My question is since I"m only pumping for a minute or two on each side and the milk comes out very fast, is this milk most foremilk? Should I even save it? I'm using a manual pump, the one that comes with the kit for the medela hospital grade pump.

I don't know if this is important but my son is 10 weeks old tomorrow and was 12 lbs 3 oz at his checkup last week.

Default Re: Foremilk/Hindmilk question

My question is since I"m only pumping for a minute or two on each side and the milk comes out very fast, is this milk most foremilk?
    It's probably mostly foremilk. Put it in the fridge for a day and check it out- if the milk has no cream on it or only a very thin layer after it has had a chance to settle, then yes, it's "skim" milk.

Should I even save it?
    That's up to you. Even though foremilk is watery, it still has nutritional value. You could save it for an emergency, you could donate it, or you could always mix some of this extra milk into his solid foods when you get to 6 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    That's up to you. Even though foremilk is watery, it still has nutritional value. You could save it for an emergency, you could donate it, or you could always mix some of this extra milk into his solid foods when you get to 6 months.
    My lactation consultant told me to use the foremilk I pumped when I had oversupply to mix in with cereal. Also, that's great advice to have it on hand for an emergency. You would rather he have a bottle that might make him gassy and have green poo than no bottle at all if something came up!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks ladies. Next time I have to pump I'll leave it in the fridge for a day and see what it looks like.

When he gets closer to 6 months, it'll definitely be worth saving for cereal. That still seems very far away!