Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best pump for twins?

Default Best pump for twins?

I am 28 weeks pregnant with twin boys. I am trying to figure out which pump would be best. Not sure if I am returning to work. I don't want to rent because I plan on breastfeeding for more than 1 year. My son was breastfeed for 18 months. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Best pump for twins?

I think it really depends on whether or not you're returning to work and what your bottle use will be like even if you aren't. If you're returning to work, I'd go top of the line, like a Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced. If you decide to stay home and you want to use a few bottles per day, I'd still go with a really good pump so that you can maximize your pumping efficiency. If you're staying home and just want to leave the occasional bottle for a sitter, I think a lighter pump like the Ameda Purely-Yours would probably be enough.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Best pump for twins?

with pp

I think it's a good idea to know where you can rent a hospital-grade pump, in case you have need of one after your babies are born. Good quality double electric pumps that you can purchase are designed to maintain an existing milk supply. Hospital-grade pumps are designed to *bring in* as well as maintain a milk supply. If for any reason one or both of your babies has difficulty nursing at first, a hospital-grade pump is a great help. You may only need it for a few weeks or a month, and you may not need one at all. I'd just recommend that you scout out rental options so you have them if you need them. If you go to the Medela and Ameda websites, you'll be able to type in your ZIP code (at least, if you're in the US; I believe you can find rental stations elsewhere, too). If several options are available, contact them and find out what they charge and if they require a certain duration for the rental.