Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Led Wow

Default Baby Led Wow

There isn't a question in here, just a thank you and some observations. I started peeking in this section over a month ago when I was getting close to needing to think about introducing my daughter to solids. I already had planned to do our own food, no store bought sludge. After reading about people doing the baby led solids so much, I was intrigued if somewhat skeptical. I spent a couple of weeks giving her mashed stuff on a spoon (which she mostly held because she grabbed it out of my hands) before my BLW book arrived, and thinking about the topic. She hadn't really seemed too interested in food, so I wasn't rushing...

After extensive reading, I opted for a mixed food approach - I didn't find any good reasons for not introducing suitable (non salted, non sugared, non chokable) foods as we ate them. She'd had some sweet potato, carrots, avocado, oatmeal, and unsweetened applesauce before.

For Thanksgiving we went to a restaurant and gave her a tray with a little turkey, a couple of peas, and a stalk of celery to play with. She LOVED it! The celery, of course, is the ultimate chew toy - but the meat she could get to her mouth thrilled her.

She has gummed an apple to her deep delight (with no skin on it), she devoured a banana third with her egg this morning, and she now has decided all meal times are for her to participate in. It is incredible to watch her level of engagement, this food thing really jazzes her all of a sudden. Today I went out with my mom for a raspa (snow cone) and my daughter was so mad when she wasn't allowed to participate. We ended up getting her a little cup of plain shaved ice and that satisfied her, and she had a ball with it. I suddenly realized that my mealtimes were never going to be the same, I have to have something she can play with at each meal because she has completely embraced the food thing.

Hopefully these links'll work.. here are a couple of photos of her chowing broccoli and an apple

This is so cool! Thanks for the ideas, and for introducing me to the concept. My daughter loves it, I love it, and the dogs are especially grateful for the extra bits of egg
    Last edited by @llli*eris; November 28th, 2009 at 11:57 PM.

Default Re: Baby Led Wow

It's great fun, isn't it? Daisy actually waves her arms and legs with uncontrollable excitement every time she is sat in her chair and she knows food is coming her way! She gets impatient if food doesn't arrive instantly and gets annoyed if daddy gets his first while hers is cooling down (Have used plates that have been in the fridge, but still needs some time to cool even further)

It's been fantastic to watch her with new food, food she already knows and loves and food she's still not sure about and then see what she does with it.

We've just started trying some cutlery this week, but she's not interested (well she liked banging it on her tray!!) - but then, why should she? She can get more in her mouth by using her hands! She is her mother's daughter for definite (hee hee)

I really empathised with your enthusiasm and enjoyment of BLS. It's been the best thing so far apart from breastfeeding as a first time mum.

What book have you got? Is it the Gill Rapley book called Baby -led Weaning (we call it that here in England). If not, add it to your bookshelf if you can - it has been invaluable to me.

Keep having fun and enjoy the mess!!

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09

Default Re: Baby Led Wow

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*daisysmum View Post
    I really empathised with your enthusiasm and enjoyment of BLS. It's been the best thing so far apart from breastfeeding as a first time mum.

What book have you got? Is it the Gill Rapley book called Baby -led Weaning (we call it that here in England). If not, add it to your bookshelf if you can - it has been invaluable to me.

Keep having fun and enjoy the mess!!
    I have the Gill Rapley book, and I WILL be stocking it in the bookstore I work in now. I had to be giggly about it here because I don't want to be annoying around my mom friends, but dang it is probably one of the most fun things I think I've done in ages. It definitely requires a bit of time on the parents part, but I think it is a worthwhile investment and it is actually making me slow down and enjoy my own meals more.

I wish there were more information on it in general, I didn't find tons out there and that kind of surprised me.