Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More flange talk!

Default More flange talk!

Hello again. I'm looking to get some larger flanges for my breast pump. But how to I know which size to get? There are 30.5mm/28.5mm and 36mm/32.5mm. Is there a way to know without actually trying?

http://www.pumps4mums.co.uk/ameda-customfit-flanges.htm

I'm clueless!

Default Re: More flange talk!

I don't know of anyway to figure it out other than trying...but the standard size is 25 for ameda so I would try the next size up. The flange will be the larger size and then there is and insert that goes in the larger flange that is the medium size ( the size between the two) I can't imagine that you would need the largest ones (which are the extra large) if the ones you were using were the standard ones and they were not painful. That size the 30.5/28.? would be the best guess if you ask me, but I am new at this too! so I could definatley be wrong. Hopefully this will help! sorry to hear that the hospital lactation consultants were so crummy....I wish everyone had the same advantage that I had with the ones where I delivered. Let me know what works for you I am still trying to figure it out. ( I think that I need to go smaller...the ones that I have now are pulling in part of the areola and making it really tight...which did not happen the first 6 weeks. The areola should not be pulled into the tunnel from what I understand. I have tried the next size up and a size smaller. I am seeing the a lactation consultant monday.) sorry to ramble!!!

Hi, thanks for replying.

You know, I think I have the same trouble as you- I think it's actually my areola being pulled in and swelling up, not my nipple. I feel so stupid that I didn't know. But now I don't know whether to go to the 23mm or the 21mm flange. Sigh.

How did your appointment with the lactation consultant go?

the appointment well.... she watched me with all of the different sizes and we decided one breast was the 22.5 (one size smaller than the standard) and the other size changed as I pumped. I started with the smaller size, 22.5 and went up to the standard size about half way through. she said as long as it doesn't hurt me I am using a good size, though it is not ideal, it is what is best. It seems like on the side that changes....I could even go wiyh the smallest size....but I am going to try this and see how my supply is. Just go one size smaller for now and then see what you think....the good thing is they are not too pricey, except for the shipping but there may be stores where you live that carry them. I know that some Drugmarts or walgreens carry them. Best of luck, let me know what works for you!!!

Glad your appointment went okay, seems you learned something at least!

Sadly I cannot buy the new flanges. I'm totally out of money, not a penny to my name And I'll go overdrawn when a direct debit goes out today... Boo.

Anyway, I did go to a support group today. It was more of a social thing but I did meet a lot of women who've been there, done that. One is training to be a peer supporter so she helped me. And another told me about another group which is more clinical and the lady there will actively change how my son latches on. So that's tomorrow. The bonus is my partner has a day off tomorrow since he's working Saturday (bah) so we can both go. I do hope we get a breakthrough- yesterday was a very bad day for pumping, I couldn't put my son dow for even an instant, he had to be held all day So I had boobs like melons.

Here's hoping we both get on all right!

Hope everything goes okay at the new group. We had a dr. appt today and it took longer than exspected so I too had a melon situation. i had to pay for the smaller flanges but the hospital where I delivered gave me the larger ones for free or maybe with insurance? i know they were no help but try them again. I cannot hurt. how much do you get when you pump? Also try oatmeal, it helped me.

sometimes it is nice to know someone has been there done that!!