Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Larger appetite at the 9month mark.

Default Larger appetite at the 9month mark.

Hi everybody!
    There's been some good talk about child led solids around here lately. As everyone knows that what we're doing and what we've been doing exclusively since about 6months. And really just followed his lead..put him in the chair once a day, cut things to mimic thirds of a Banana and introduced things fairly slowly. Let things happen naturally. Guess what? In the last two weeks, his interest in food has increased dramatically!!! He will be 9months old this Fri. and I realized today, we're eating two "meals" a day! Meaning sitting down twice a day and giving him more than one thing at a time. In addition he gets a piece of something to keep him happy anytime he's sitting on the kitchen floor while my husband cooks.
    Plus he's recently been willing to open his mouth and stick out his tongue and "taste" everything!! I still don't think he associates food w/ hunger but man the interest and figuring out that different things "taste" different has been as big and exciting as trying to figure out how to wave. Today he had peaches for the 1st time and they were a hit! He is interested in whatever we have on our plate and I've been letting him "taste' everything-even things I'm not ready to have him "eat" like spaghetti sauce.
    So I just want to say to all the Mothers that are doing this and are closer to the 6month mark and feeling apprehensive about choking and whether or not this approach will work, I'm here to endorse it again!! It's so much less pressure on both me and the baby. It's so much less work. And like Bfing and Babywearing and AP, before cereal, before jarred food, before Gerber finger foods, this is how babies ate. Like so many other things that I have discovered here about myself and Motherhood this just feels right!! Thanks again Annie for all the wonderful information that led me to make what I know was the best decision my LO. It goes so perfectly with our lifestyle and how I want to parent! (No pressure).
    Shelly

Default Re: Larger appetite at the 9month mark.

Will post an update on Adeline's food adventures tomorrow when I have two hands to type with! Thanks for sharing, Shelly!

Today Addie tried lentils (great source for IRON, protein and fiber) and really loved them (bonus: fun to play with in hands = messy girl!). She'll try just about anything once ... but the lentils I think were a hit. I seasoned them with some herbs and spices (no salt or sugar, of course) and we all ate together. It's wonderful not having to prepare special baby foods or buy the jarred stuff (which, IMO, looks nasty!). And the bonus is I'm eating much healthier now since I'm buying so much of this wonderful, yummy whole foods for Adeline to try. It's like seeing food in a whole new light ... I'm always thinking about what great food we can try with her next. Fun!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

oh I am glad I found this thread - but wish it was a different one - with a link!

Annie - can you please post the child led link - it looked to be of german origin or something?!?!

TIA!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    oh I am glad I found this thread - but wish it was a different one - with a link!

Annie - can you please post the child led link - it looked to be of german origin or something?!?!

TIA!
    Here ya go .... copied from another post of mine!

Here is a page I have really enjoyed and am implementing it with our daughter's solid food introduction ... baby-led approach to the introduction of solid foods. I really like the idea of letting the baby set the pace and keeping the focus on play and exploration so the transition takes place as naturally as possible. This article and approach to solids was developed by a member of UNICEF, from the UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative.

I think most moms around here skip the extremely pureed foods. If we wouldn't want to eat that icky stuff, why would our babies? Especially when it's coming at them in a way that they can't control (a spoon). I know my little girl would absolutely not stand for being spoon fed ... she's a total "Me Do It Myself" kind of gal! Why not give our babies the chance to naturally explore food by self feeding and give them something delicious, nutritious and closer to what real food tastes like (in texture too) to begin their exploration of the world of foods? Here is another interesting article which is actually from a very mainstream source: Experts Seek to Debunk Baby Food Myths.

Oh, and I'm glad you found it too ... looks like I forgot to post back with an update as I promised!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

yay! thanks mama! you are quick! I needed to use it on another board, & am in the process of "cleaning out" my Favorites list and couldn't find this! whew!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    yay! thanks mama! you are quick! I needed to use it on another board, & am in the process of "cleaning out" my Favorites list and couldn't find this! whew!
    I have a subscription to this post so even though I'm not actually on the boards I got the email saying there was a new post ... I'm editing some new walking video footage of Adeline! But I saw it was you, Eme, and had to help my girl out.

I have a subscription to this post so even though I'm not actually on the boards I got the email saying there was a new post ... I'm editing some new walking video footage of Adeline! But I saw it was you, Eme, and had to help my girl out.
    aw - what a sweetie! ya' made my day with that wish I could see the video - (every time i've gone to a video link of yours I can't get to it - my system is from the dark ages, I swear!)

it's actually a dutch link, so your close!!
    well there were words that didn't seem german, but I wasn't sure.. thanks!

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Bumping up for Evin...
    Evin as you can read we really just let DJ lead the way! This is where he was around her age! Again I'm big on Variety, but as far as portions go I STILL at a year use the cup you put a teacup on and put 4-6 slices of each kind of fruit and use the size of my fist for things lile beans, spinach and cheese shreds. I then put HALF of whatever I have on his highchair separated out so he understands it's four or 5 different things to try and if he get thru all off that and gets to "2nds" we think that's GOOD EATING. We never make it thru round two. So he still eats portions that are SMALLER than the size of a tea cup saucer! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Shelly, thank you so much for bumping this up! The way DJ was at 9 mos sounds a lot like where K is now. I think I just need to start offering a little more variety. Baby led rocks (no pressure )